A thought on Nosh Beans

I love them! I was thinking about them today, and I was thinking that realistically, since they take ethanol, which comes from distillers processing lumber, which is grown by polluted water, they are essentially taking water to grow, with power costs inbetween.

This made me think, could they be less expensive than sleet wheat in this way? The wiki states, and I haven't tested how true this is, that "A domestic Arbor Tree that goes through an Ethanol Distiller converts 1kg of Polluted Water into 2.4kg of Ethanol."

This would mean, then, that nosh beans take ~8.33333333 kg of (polluted) water to grow. With a growth period of 21 cycles domestic, this would mean that in total, the nosh bean would take more or less 175 kg of water to grow 2 servings of tofu, which add +100kg of water to the cost, which means 275kg of water in total for 7200kcal of food.

Compare this to the sleet wheat, which requires 20 kg of water for 18 cycles, which is 360kg of water in total, for 18 grains, which is 6 servings of 1200 kcal of frost bun, totalling up to 7200kcal of food, or equivalent kcal in pepperbread.

To me, this means that nosh beans appear to be considerably more water friendly than sleet wheat, at the cost of power and extra processing of irrigation, assuming the wiki's statement is correct, which it feels such. Its odd and fun to come to the conclusion  that even with the extra water cost the tofu's recipe brings, its still not as much as one would need to sustain sleet wheat...! :excitement:

It is also possible that the ethanol distillers secondary product, polluted dirt, may produce some amount of food through sanishells as it produces the ethanol necessary for nosh beans, however these calculations aren't what I was going for so I didn't do them ...!

you missed the most overpowered part of the lowly nosh bean - pacu eat them

only trouble is nosh beans spoil so they go well with gulp fish in <-18c areas.  think about it, 12 beans per 21 cycles = 0.57 nosh beans at max, 0.48 if no dupe harvest.  that's enough for 1.6-1.9 pacu.  1 nosh sprout feeds almost 2 pacu.  scaling it up, 1 bean feeds 3.33 pacu so 3 beans per 10 pacu, that's 6.25 nosh sprouts with no bean harvesting. 5.25 sprouts for 10 pacu with harvesting.  so! 1 arbor tree = upto 167kg/s ethanol which makes about 8 nosh bean sprouts.  that's about 3.84 beans per cycle without harvest, feeding 12.8 adult pacus before optimizations.  each one fed has 13 (20*0.67) eggs, that's 0.52 (13/25) pacu fillets per pacu, at 13 pacu, that's 6.76 pacu eggs per cycle.  makes theoretically 34,944kcal of omelette plus 832kcal of cooked fish or 10,816kcal of cooked fish.  that's from 1 arbor tree, 8 nosh bean sprouts, and 13 pacu of which, only the arbor tree needs to be tended to.  you could harvest the nosh beans and raise about 15 total pacu.  could add in fertilizer and grubgrubs and get a lot more return.  possibly replace the arbor tree with oakshells when the patch rolls out for labor free calories

On 5/22/2022 at 5:32 PM, zach123b said:

you missed the most overpowered part of the lowly nosh bean - pacu eat them

Pacu can starvation ranch for free meat so they are very overpowered! They even can delete heat if done with care.

I did go Nosh Beans for one base in the past instead of Sleet Wheat. It worked, but cooling the Ethanol down enough is really a pain and takes a lot of energy. Much more expensive energy-wise than Sleet Wheat, at least wild grown Sleet Wheat (what I usually do as final solution). Wild grown Nosh Beans may be competitive, but I never tried that as I want Berry Sludge for space travel anyways.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

I did go Nosh Beans for one base in the past instead of Sleet Wheat. It worked, but cooling the Ethanol down enough is really a pain and takes a lot of energy. Much more expensive energy-wise than Sleet Wheat, at least wild grown Sleet Wheat (what I usually do as final solution). Wild grown Nosh Beans may be competitive, but I never tried that as I want Berry Sludge for space travel anyways.

Next time you feel like going nosh beans, give that a try:

Ceramic insulated pipes and hot ethanol straight out of the distiller. Use active cooling of the farm and plants instead. I usually maintain the whole thing between -25C and -22C to make sure its in deep frozen state for the beans and the ethanol gets piped in at 75C+. I have been running my farm like this without issues on the same cooling line as my base's freezer. There is no need to cool down the ethanol as long as you can make sure the plant itself is cold!

Yes, that would likely have worked much better. If I ever try again, I will probably go that route.

4 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Next time you feel like going nosh beans, give that a try:

Ceramic insulated pipes and hot ethanol straight out of the distiller. Use active cooling of the farm and plants instead. I usually maintain the whole thing between -25C and -22C to make sure its in deep frozen state for the beans and the ethanol gets piped in at 75C+. I have been running my farm like this without issues on the same cooling line as my base's freezer. There is no need to cool down the ethanol as long as you can make sure the plant itself is cold!

Yes, that would likely have worked much better. If I ever try again, I will probably go that route. I have used this approach with other plants since then. 

Archived