goofy/cool/balanced/unbalanced/clever/stupid ideas for Woodie. Literally everything that came to my mind.

None of this would likely happen. I bet it's too much work for stuff like this. I feel Woodie has the most potential as a playable character so I just wanted to let out my fantasies somewhere.

Have you seen how much control he had in his animated short? What if eating idols just refiled the meters and you could switch between them at will, this could open some possibilities for him to make him more viable in the endgame.  

Woodie is not the best at anything but he could be an insane all-rounder.

The big change all following will be based on would be the ability to enter any form from any form at will, wereness drain being now unaffected by your actions always draining at the same rate what could enable moose better in some fights. Imagine fighting toadstool with unspoiling hambat moose and being able to hop into beaver skin for the mushtree removal. Full moons would still force a random transformation but he would be able to leave it immediately this way woodie still would be playable in worlds where daily full moons happen and in the endgame where he's pure pain to reach champion with.

Beaver

A place in boss fights without buffing damage

Did you know that werebeaver deals 27.2 damage but 44.2 to treeguards? How would ever get in a situation like this? Werebeaver has a 0% chance to spawn treeguard. So you must've been human and then turned into a werebeaver. Such a choice ends in you getting insane crazy fast since both treeguard and transformation drain sanity. You could've just turned into moose instead for 59.5 damage ending the fight faster what would be more sanity left. 
If we want beaver to be stronger than moose against treeguards then we should up its damage even further than moose's or if we don't it to shred treeguards but still want beaver to be a better choice then beaver should gain sanity for fighting them. And even better it sparks an idea of werebeaver having sanity auras having flipped effects on him, imagine taking a break from moose for time fuelweaver or deerclops got you low on sanity so you can sacrifice some damage to regain sanity or going unenlightened from chomping down phase 3 lunar champion's crystals. For this, I would suggest an 80% dmg reduction instead of 20% on beaver, still worse by a lot than moose but less risky.

Goose

Inspired by how woodie in the animated short used a goose after getting stomped

Quick transformation switch making goose viable to use in combat.
If the player switched from human, moose, or beaver to goose then will gain iframes for the transformation animation, imagine it being some sort of short dash which would allow you to dodge difficult attacks like celestial champion's, fuelweaver's cage, or deerclops and dragonfly in case you put one hit too many before deciding to dodge. The animation would make you lose some DPS but make up for low moose speed in some scenarios, due to DPS loss it's an option but dodging normally by walking away is still the main thing.

Moose

More use for charge

Coolness

Just because such transition would look so cool: Moose transformed from running goose would be doing charging attack as it transformed for an explosive entry. 

Combat

Charge attacking boss would stop on a hit and flinch the boss for long enough for Woodie to have a chance to avoid an incoming attack. It could be a nice way of re-engaging after dodging with goose transform or in teamplay it could interrupt a boss like a dragonfly's first attack after coming from spawning larve is pretty much unavoidable, interrupting fuelweaver from hitting your caged friend. Boss would flinch only if the charge traveled enough distance so it can't be done over and over quickly without getting a run-up also he wouldn't stop if the charge didn't travel enough distance so he can still have this as a dodge option in case of bosses with minions where he would hit the boss by chance.

Why dodge with goose from moose instead of the human form which is better for combat? There needs to be something that could make some people choose moose over a human with glass cutters in boss fights without overdoing it. That's why I suggested the thing above but it wouldn't be often that useful. When solo it doesn't make the fight much easier but can benefit your allies. Moose is slower than a human with a hambat both in terms of movement (10% slower) and attack (13 and 1/3 % slower) the DPS doesn't suffer just a 13 and 1/3% decrease, quite often you will have to dodge earlier due to your 10% less movement speed and the attack speed itself which will mean you will add 1 less hit compared to woodie with hambat. So how do we both keep the feeling of massive moose weight the slowness gives him.
I'm listing what matters in a fight to figure out what could he get:

1. DPS: Attack speed and Damage per hit combined
  2. Sustain: Armor, Max health, Lifesteal, Healing Food
  3. Movement speed: Is more hits before dodging, is easier dodging
  4. Sanity: If you're being chased by nightmares too early that will drastically slow the fight.
  5. Range:

And I think the range is what we need here to get moose to hambat level.
How do we fix the problem of the lower amount of hits due to slower movement speed? We make him walk a shorter distance to and away from the boss thanks to more attack range.
How do we fix the problem of the lower amount of DPS due to slower attack speed? We buff his damage making him hit earlier due to less distance needed to reach the target.
The normal range value is 1 for example whips like Wanda's are 2. Moose is pretty big it might still look natural with 1.5 and likely it would make him land as many hits as humans without losing his heavy feeling, even better, it would only complement it further. This would need a test run and If needed range didn't make his fist visually connect it would be cool if moose was slightly visually larger to fix it, am I right, or am I right?

Also reduced sanity drain in moose form while fighting bosses like wortox would be nice since combined with his transformation drain it's very brutal.

Cooperation

Moose being able to be ridden by another player, moose goes on all 4, both players get control over woodie(so they have to decide or can take turns at the wheel) but now thanks to the rider's navigation Woodie is no longer running in a straight line and bashing into things. This action could slow the wereness drain and slow or stop the sanity drain from being transformed. Would be cool to take your buddy somewhere with you at increased speed.

Gathering

Also cool idea for gathering wood after chopping. Charging Moose is nearly touching the ground with antlers. He could swoop items from the ground like bulldozers for easier pick up when they're piled up. It wouldn't be helpful in the forest but if you planted trees in a straight line it would be great.

Woodie farmer

Goose could make for a hoe, seen chicken looking for food in the dirt? If a single quick peck or claw scratching could till faster than hoe it would be quite something when there's no wormwood present.
Beaver already can hammer giant veggies.
Moose could pick up heavy objects with higher movement speed like Wolfgang, The wereness drain could be decreased for this action and a moment after. If you make more veggies than you can preserve but still want to farm it's a good idea to get giants off the field and let them stay in giant form until needed to be hammered.

I haven't had a controller in my hands

But I know it has a problem with how few buttons it has so maybe during transformation it could work like choosing items from inventory slots for easier alternations between two forms, for example, moose>goose the previous transformation would replace the last chosen slot.

The transformation from the human form could be initially random with a combination of inputs. I have this image in front of me and I have no experience with the controller so I have no idea which would be comfortable.unknown.png  In case it was possible initial forms could not be random and be chosen depending on your action, standing still=moose, running=goose, hugging choppable/mineable/hammerable object=beaver.

I would really love moose to carry objects and players
Plz appreciate I spent like 6 hours thinking about those and correcting mistakes

When his rework was coming I was expecting that the beaver form to gain the ability of making dams to create ponds or bridges. Of course it doesn't sound like much but I dams are a very important for beavers jaja.

3 hours ago, IanKSB91 said:

When his rework was coming I was expecting that the beaver form to gain the ability of making dams to create ponds or bridges. Of course it doesn't sound like much but I dams are a very important for beavers jaja.

I wanted also to suggest beaver to be able to use beaver musk to clog holes in boat.

Isn't the transformation a curse rather than a controllable superpower? I feel the idol thing already break his backstory a little for it's now controllable, and it's more than wood related.

I think each transformation isn't designed to and shouldn't be too multi-talented. One main reason is that their transformation meter drops super fast once they stopped doing their designated tasks.

Not every character needs to be able to do everything in their own special ways.

Beaver won't get treeguards in general, this buff against treeguards is for edgy cases, besides it breaks his role as a chopper, because a strong chopper shouldn't be stronger than a professional fighter.

WereMoose (a fighter) shouldn't be able to keep his weremeter for moving debris.

I don't have any particular reason against weregoose hoeing, tho it just doesn't feel right. He who is wielding Lucy turns into a goose hoeing grounds with its beak... while Lucy on the ground goes:" You alright, big guy?"

Great brainstorm.

Archived