Wolfgang needs his old speedboost back (this is why)

Overall the wolfgang rework was a huge nerf and it honestly feels unfair when comparing it to other characters especially Wanda or the recent WX-78 rework

hahahatinyman.png.d99dd0e88302ae0d3e974b39151dd214.png

- Wolfgang is overshadowed by Wanda's damange, range and utility.
- WX-78 can get a walking cane on day 1, I dont understand why people would find Wolfgang's speed boost when mighty OP.

Right now the default wolfgang form is wimpy because mighty/normal wolfgang would be at a constant mightyness loss 
when moving with a walking cane the upkeep would make it not worth it because you'd lose a ton of mightyness before you know it and not to mention the annoying transition between forms discourages the player even more to workout if you're going to lose form in less than a day.

The solution to this problem when you're not fighting is to constantly run with a dumbell equipped (by doing this the mightyness meter pauses) but that means that the only way to get a speed boost with wolfgang and mantain form is by using a magiluminescence sacrificing the backpack slot.

I did some testing and when trying to use the walking cane as a regular/mighty wolfgang the loss of mightyness goes as follows:

Starting from 200 hunger = 4min from 100 to 75 mightyness.(half a day)
Starting from 137 hunger = 2min from 100 to 75 mightyness (quarter of a day)
Starting from 50  hunger = 43 seconds from 100 to 75 mightyness (almost two day segments)

If a player wants to keep his regular/mighty form he needs a lot of upkeep from both food and dumbells, which ends up being a waste of resources when you could be whimpy and take advantage of the 25% reduction in hunger and buff yourself when you're about to fight.

By giving Wolfgang his speed boost back he can keep his mightyness by holding the dumbell and go as fast as any other player with a walking cane.

Wolfgang having a 25% speed mutliplier would open up different ways to play him:

1. Wimpy Wolfgang default: Normally this type of player would preffer to be in wimpy form for the 25% reduction in hunger, he'll use the walking cane to move around and buff himself with the gembell before a fight. (right now this is the only and most optimal way to play wolfgang)

2. Mighty Wolfgang default: This type of player would normally keep the dumbell equiped at all times like a walking cane always ready to battle and exploring, he doesnt mind the default hunger drain.

3. Mighty wolfgang with cane: This player runs at incredible speeds for both combat and exploration but needs a lot of maintenance (both hunger and mightyness) still worth it for those with extra food and good quality dumbells.

Balancing:

- When carrying heavy objects like statues, boulders and suspicious marbles wolfgang even when mighty should carry them at a normal x1 speed multiplayer.

- I'm not too much of a fan of the idea of giving wolfgang the speed penalty from equipped items back but if the developers think that its necesary at least the 25% speed boost would compensate for that.

Overall with this change I can 100% assure you that people WOULDN'T COMPLAIN but instead oldschool wolfgang players WOULD CELEBRATE.

The speed boost would set him apart from wanda, make him more unique and have more more of a reason to pick him.

4 hours ago, Muffs said:

- Wolfgang is overshadowed by Wanda's damange, range and utility.

you need more experience to play old wanda than to play wolf so is fair that she is stronger. As wolf you have more room for mistakes

4 hours ago, Muffs said:

- WX-78 can get a walking cane on day 1, I dont understand why people would find Wolfgang's speed boost when mighty OP.

and wolf has x2 damage, more working speed, better boat performance and some insulation on day 1

A better idea, now that Gembells crafting costs have been changed to include Thelucite (which I don’t even know how to reliably obtain…) Then the Gembell should probably be buffed to include a speed buff while holding it.. AND ONLY IT, if you try to use a Weapon or any other item: You lose the speed buff.

Reason I come this conclusion? Gembell is powered by ancient technology, so it’s got some funky magical traits going on with it.

Yes you COULD use Gembells as weapons themselves, but would you really want to waste their durability when they now require Thelucite (again which I don’t even know how to get..) to craft?

As far as having speed buff be a default part of Wolfgang: I hope Klei never considers readding that back in.

I'm a fan of normal Wolfgang having the speed buff actually. Never considered it. I can see how old-school wolf players will cringe ridiculously hard however. 

I'm also a fan of the Gembell granting a small speed boost. Thulecite club isn't the full bonus of a walking cane, and neither should a dumbbell be.

And lastly, I really don't like when people call normal Wolfgang, just wilson. His stats are still better, and you're still playing Wolfgang. You have the flexibility of going 2x damage beefcake mode, and wilson has beard and less stats. Just stop. Lol

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

A better idea, now that Gembells crafting costs have been changed to include Thelucite (which I don’t even know how to reliably obtain…) Then the Gembell should probably be buffed to include a speed buff while holding it.. AND ONLY IT, if you try to use a Weapon or any other item: You lose the speed buff.

Reason I come this conclusion? Gembell is powered by ancient technology, so it’s got some funky magical traits going on with it.

Yes you COULD use Gembells as weapons themselves, but would you really want to waste their durability when they now require Thelucite (again which I don’t even know how to get..) to craft?

As far as having speed buff be a default part of Wolfgang: I hope Klei never considers readding that back in.

Love that idea!!!

4 hours ago, Wonz said:

Normal wolfgang is just wilson, no reason to stay in this form. Maybe give the speed for 25-75 mightiness wolfgang but he loses the speed again once he becomes wimpy or mighty

I thought about this too but when you're in combat and hitting an enemy you get mightyness, after you pass the 75% mark you'd lose the speed buff that doesnt sound very reliable especially when there is no way to control it in that situacion. It'd only work for moving around which is not a bad thing on its own but speed is the most important stat for fighting and losing that when you're doing the thing you're supposed to as wolfgang sounds like punishment.

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you need more experience to play old wanda than to play wolf so is fair that she is stronger. As wolf you have more room for mistakes

You can argue that sure! but still her toolkit is still fantastic for herself and her team, and even then if you're not playing old wanda you get a lot of room for mistakes when playing normally thanks to her lack of health penalty when dying and her ageless watch. What I'm trying to say is that Wanda is just a straight up upgrade to wolfgang, not only is she an incredible damage dealer but also a huge help to her team with the second chance and backtreck watch. For me its a shame that wolfie ended up like that this when there was potential for something better for him.

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and wolf has x2 damage, more working speed, better boat performance and some insulation on day 1

Honestly the only thing that matters is the x2 Damage, the rest is just useless filler to justify the nerf of his speed when mighty. Why would I care to chop a tall tree with 4 less chops or faster rowing or 60 insulation points for winter why would I care to be a master of all trades when wolfgang is a fighter.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Wonz said:

Normal wolfgang is just wilson, no reason to stay in this form. Maybe give the speed for 25-75 mightiness wolfgang but he loses the speed again once he becomes wimpy or mighty

I thought about this a little bit more today, This is actually a really cool idea but the only thing holding it back in my opnion is the fact that working and fighting increases mightyness so the solution I offer is that when you're doing those things your mightyness caps at end of your current form for example 25 and 75 mightyness and in order to reach the next transformation you need to use your bell or structure at least once to reach 26 or 76 mightyness.

I REALLY like this idea because the transtition animation wouldnt freeze you when fighting since you can choose when to do it and you can keep any form you want with the benefits you want.

You're pretty cool.

Archived