Atom smasher: destroy gases and liquids in-place. Edit: door crusher duplicate

Can't find any prior art, please link if you know any. Update: so the ONI term is door crusher. I thought it was too obvious but Google/DDG didn't show it with various "remove/delete" queries.

atom_smasher.jpeg.6c43fc2516495bde4af2d0a19577e9fa.jpeg

Allows removing excess gases and liquids along with their heat without venting all the way into space and without any energy. Carbon skimmer without energy and water costs. Quick vacuum maker.

Timer: 6s/6s. Buffer: 3s.

Refined metal required: 75kg.

Sandstone walls should handle the ~2t liquid pressure without cracking but some natural tiles will crack.

Named after the Dwarven Atom Smasher.

33 minutes ago, int_ua said:

Can't find any prior art, please link if you know any.

The !tag doorcrusher command on the unofficial ONI Discord has a slightly better configured version with both powered and unpowered configuration, that has been around since July 2021, but this sort of setup has been around for far longer (I'm too lazy to search for even prior art though).

Here it is, it's configured to stop when it detects Oxygen, but of course you can easily change what to detect.

unknown.png

18 minutes ago, int_ua said:

Because right now it's hard to find.

That is surprising. Maybe Google has just gotten worse. DuckDuckGo("oni door delete liquid/gas") seems to find things. I have stopped using Google some time ago.

24 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

That is surprising. Maybe Google has just gotten worse. DuckDuckGo("oni door delete liquid/gas") seems to find things. I have stopped using Google some time ago.

How would someone new to the game know that there should be "door" in the query? :)

9 hours ago, int_ua said:

How would someone new to the game know that there should be "door" in the query? :)

Because the mechanism uses doors? At least when you have found it that should be clear.

Well, it could be that many people do not know how to use search engines right. Typically you want the thing you look for ("deletes liquids") and the components used ("door") and the context ("oni") to get relevant search results among all the irrelevant noise "modern" search engines return. 

1 hour ago, Yobbo said:

But how would they know the mechanism should use doors?

I mean classically it should really be a drawbridge.

Aehm, look at the first posting in this thread? I was referring to that not being found. 

I would like to agree with both Gurgel and Yobbo. I should have included the door in the queries yesterday, that's on me. But I was also researching sustainability in this game before purchasing and I didn't know about doors at the time and the impression stayed.

oh, and there is a one-door version even, suggested by Icon_9 at Reddit

15 hours ago, int_ua said:

I would like to agree with both Gurgel and Yobbo. I should have included the door in the queries yesterday, that's on me.

I am not blaming you. Search engines are pretty bad these days. As soon as you look for something more specific, it gets tricky. That is not the idea of a good search engine.

One reason likely is that Google does not really care about search at all. All they care is about ad-targeting. So search has basically gone the same way Microsoft has gone: Quality low and cheap enough to just barely support their business model and f*** the user. Everybody else is taking Google as the gold standard and does not really try to do much better.

Archived