Currently the lighting mechanism (and other such as germ though not much as light) lack interaction with the environment. There are currently only three interaction present with it

1. duplicant with lit workspace and sunburn
  2. two building, beach chair and solar panel
  3. two plants, bristle berry and gas grass

as far currently while it is a environmental factor, it does not interact with the natural (cell) environment in any way, closest being the plants.

Idea is that to include some quality to the light and the elements to interact with light in some way.

1. Light heat up the absorbing cell, depending on amount of lux for example 1DTU/s per 1000 lux
  2. some element emit light depending on condition such as high temperature or being lit by light. (as a side note, might add another state hotter than gas). temp ex. 2000c magma emit 20000lux while  1000c magma emit 1000lux .
    light ex. some gas lit at above 30000lux emits 35000lux
  3. Also make the light go indefinitely like sunlight in case of nothing absorbing.

(these numbers in example are completely arbitrary, just to convey the trend)

Two type possible are,

1. passive light emission should release heat, basically simulating radiate cooling. Also amount of light should depend on the temperature.
  2. active light emission which emits light when lit with above certain lux. Also cool but at a faster rate with stronger emission.

Adding some related building that redirect light.

1. mirrors
  2. collectors - collects lights from multiple direction and combine together to one direction

As a related adding more interesting state transition like crude oil that needs extreme temperature is also interesting.
perhaps new type of pipe, transparent pipe that allow lighting and even radiation emitting of the content of the pipe (if it can).
Also modify solar panel to be more modular (more like a tile or mechanical door?) to use with more dynamic light mechanism. Some of the concepts can translate to radiation in the DLC.

I would like to see people building a more handy craft generator that can be a generator, with danger of over heating and melting.

---

Should I move the post to the normal Forum Feedback and Suggestion forum? If then is there a way to move it?

Love the mirror idea, could be a required technology to research laser cutting and optical lasers, which could trigger a chance of spreading fires in the colony :adoration:

Building a laser could require the fabrication of mirrors, the laser itself needs to be operated with chemical batteries and a supadupa capacitor. Capacitors are needed so that the dupes can watch "The Daltons" on a 80`s tube TV in their free time.

image.thumb.png.1c7e92cfe54da57650c0a0cff8110754.pngimage.png.d4a67096e0c8b1a32d5df175ea941fa3.png  Laser

I am rethinking, that only some source to have infinite radius like the sunlight. For me, the most important point is that the light effects the environment more, so generating heat and the building and elements reacting to it is more core idea. infinite radius is more like, if it doesn't hit performance too much.

I`d love if you could put tamed shinebugs in cages (like canaries) and keep them in a certain spot instead of a lamp. It would be a nice alternative but one that needs extra dupe attention.

I agree that the top tile that is illuminated from space should heat up and cool down based on the amount of light provided. Some planetoids would then have a hot surface and some cold.

There should be a prism structure that would split a beam oflight from the sun into all directions but make it finite like regular lights.

There should be different types of glass(with different recipies), dim glass blocking more sunlight and superclear glass blocking none. Maybe even uranium glass that creates it`s own light.

Archived