Boats are STILL too slow to control

I'm fine with boat movement for general travel as it is now, but it's not ideal for making seafaring combat fun. Particularly if there's going to be more ocean bosses in the future, it might be nice if boats had a way of blocking attacks rather than dodging them, since their size makes them clunky to kite with and tanking is comparatively boring and eats up a lot of boards. (And I don't really see the fundamentals of boat mobility changing at this point, which is about what it would take to make DST boats as nimble as Shipwrecked boats. I'm still holding a torch for Walani and her surfboard to come to DST and it could control like that, but I don't think we're getting small, WASD-controlled, Shipwrecked-style boats in any other context.) More ranged weapons that can be mounted on a boat, especially with a smaller footprint and no character-lock, would be very welcome as well.

Why not just introduce canoes that are use entirely for exploration but also can't go into deep water, but are much faster and controlable than a boat.

It would let you explore all the shallow water and in many cases even get to lunar island since there is no deep water between it and the main island

11 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Is it? I've found early game, oar-based sailing to be a ton of fun.

No... A big selling point of boating for me is all the multitasking that can be done while on the move. Paddling disables most of that multitasking or makes it more difficult, plus I'm all too aware of how much more slowly I'm moving versus using sails. 

But if you enjoy continuous button pressing/mouse clicking to a rhythm for multiple minutes, than all the more power to you.

57 minutes ago, chincer said:

Why not just introduce canoes that are use entirely for exploration but also can't go into deep water, but are much faster and controlable than a boat.

It would let you explore all the shallow water and in many cases even get to lunar island since there is no deep water between it and the main island

Or recycle this for that very purpose:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Log_Raft

18 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Is it? I've found early game, oar-based sailing to be a ton of fun.

Thing is...  that's not sailing lol.  I don't mind drift wood oars for early exploration but they don't satisfy the craving to actually live the boat life.

Archived