Puffs from gas masks delete gases

I have a bunch of gas masks in space (I am currently playing on a flipped asteroid in Spaced Out!, so I don't have suits and I have to maintain a vacuum to my space entry and I drained the magma in to this tank with the volcano).  Occasionally, the dupes wearing masks puff out some gas.  I assumed that this was a graphical effect, but apparently it was destroying my escher waterfall way below near the bottom of the base.  

image.thumb.png.c485e2af6ff6f46c6d056e55b3c23b58.png 

This escher waterfall used to have over 800 grams of oxygen.  There is currently one of these puffs in the lava.  When it hit, it reduced the 36.2 grams of oxygen to 16.2 grams.  Puffs of air from space are slowly destroying the oxygen 20 grams at a time.  One more puff later and this happened:

image.thumb.png.402bfa9de8efd71caaddb45fdbf445f6.png

The oxygen is gone and only the CO2 remains.

I think this is a weird interaction between space exposure vacuum and oxygen masks. The "puff" represents 20 grams of CO2 trying to form, but for some reason it doesn't in space, so it makes it fall until it finds an atmosphere and dumps it there. It will try to spawn the gas there, but if there is another gas there with nowhere to go, it deletes an equivalent amount of mass. In my case, I was unfortunate enough to put my main ladder right over my escher waterfall.

Is this a known bug?

EDIT:  The puff itself is apparently the bug.  It appears that if a dupe exhales from a mask in space, the 20 grams of CO2 forms a puff (like a droplet).  This puff is supposed to impact the first tile or non-space tile it comes across.  However, if the first tile it comes across is exposed to space (i.e. if you dig it, there is space behind it), then it won't trigger.  If there is a solid wall of natural tiles from the space exposed to the tiles with background, it will continue to fall until it encounters an atmosphere, even through solid tiles and liquids.  This theory was wrong.  I shaved off the top abyssalite until there background and the puffs kept falling through.

I think these puffs of air are pretty pointless and should be removed.  Just have the dupes exhale the 20 grams of CO2 in space.  It makes more sense.

I solved the problem by putting a layer of gas below my space operations.  But honestly, this is a rather absurd bug that needs to be fixed.  Unless anyone can tell me what purpose having the CO2 fall if in space serves.

7 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Go to exo-suits to avoid this or have them hold their breath.

My take is that Klei does not fix this because masks are an early/mid-game solution. 

I'm playing Spaced Out on flipped asteroid.  I don't have any thimblereed.  Plus, I've decided suits solve too many problems, so I am doing a run without them.

13 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I'm playing Spaced Out on flipped asteroid.  I don't have any thimblereed.  Plus, I've decided suits solve too many problems, so I am doing a run without them.

Well, of course you are free to inflict as many limitations on yourself as you like. The peculiar Oxygen mask behavior is just one of them.

Playing without Atmo-suits is fun, I've done it in the past, it creates several new challenges! There isn't really any other non-obvious behaviors I noticed at the time. On the other hand, Flatulent dupes have additional new challenges compared to oxygen masks (namely when they fart in liquid airlocks, it didn't behave the same as CO2 from oxygen masks and had worse consequences).

9 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, of course you are free to inflict as many limitations on yourself as you like. The peculiar Oxygen mask behavior is just one of them.

There is a big difference between not giving my dupes power armor and accepting CO2 appearing (or gases being deleted) randomly in rooms with no access points.  

Archived