Better Ribbon Automation

Current ribbon automation requires a Ribbon Writer for each sensor and a Ribbon Reader for each control point make what should a space saver into a cumbersome seldom used mechanic when single automation wires are superior in almost every way.  Perhaps there are better options.

Option 1: Delete the Ribbon Reader and Writer from the game and make all automation ports hybrid ports.  If a ribbon is connected the sensor provides the Ribbon Writer window above the other sensor info (above the Temp Threshold window for a Thermo Sensor) rather than just defaulting to Bit 1. If a single automation wire is connected it operates as it does currently. This functionality could still be gate-kept behind the Parallel Automation research.

Or give us upgradable automation ports to gain the above functionality. 25 or 50 refined metal to upgrade a port would be an acceptable price.

I think these changes would make ribbons useable and make Automation's hidden unique form of bridging connections used more often to create better and more elegant automation grids.

Option 2: Get rid of the ribbon wire mechanic altogether and replace it with an automation wire stacking mechanic.  In this method, automation wires never actually need bridges and a player can see stacks of 1, 2, 3, or max 4? automation wires with individual wires splitting off where needed, crossing and stacking with each other, possibly ending up with circuit board-like automation grids. This functionality could still be gate-kept behind the Parallel Automation research.  I think this is the better option.

Let me know what Banhi thinks.

In most of the cases my bases are simple and don't need more than 1 or 2 logic wires in the same area. But the option 1 sounds nice and I'd love to see it implemented.

And I agree about the space they take, it is massive. Multiplexer is the same size as rocket engines

Only scenario where i use ribbons is for the pixel packs. Like drop 12 thermo sensors in the same water pool set to different temperatures and show it on a large pixel pack, or do that for a set of batteries or reservoirs to show how much power and resources you got. I think there should be more buildings accepting full ribbons.

Archived