Steam turbine setup without using doors

I'm getting into trying to create a Steam Turbine magma setup for the first time, and all I've ever seen is doors being used to stop heat transfer when needed. I find this very anti-thematic so I'm looking for an alternative, is there any other way that's not completely inefficient, or a mod with something that makes more sense than literally opening a door to prevent heat transfer? Been trying to find some moving tile mod with no luck.

I also found it anti-thematic at some point, researched the subject and implemented a working solution for a petroleum boiler.

What you want is Diamond debris on Conveyor Rails. High SHC (especially with 20kg/debris vs 10kg for liquid packets or 1kg for gas packets), naturally high TC (again helped by the 20kg size), high melting temperature, and easy to find in the oil biome. It's the perfect solution if you don't want doors heat bridges.

It looks like that:

5F2F03708FAD32FF17845F15A035C3E5D348A5E1

4 hours ago, Fradow said:

I also found it anti-thematic at some point, researched the subject and implemented a working solution for a petroleum boiler.

What you want is Diamond debris on Conveyor Rails. High SHC (especially with 20kg/debris vs 10kg for liquid packets or 1kg for gas packets), naturally high TC (again helped by the 20kg size), high melting temperature, and easy to find in the oil biome. It's the perfect solution if you don't want doors heat bridges.

It looks like that:

5F2F03708FAD32FF17845F15A035C3E5D348A5E1

That's even better than what I though, you can just dip these straight into magma without using metal tiles. Awesome. Those window tiles also made of Diamond right?

In retrospect, I overdid it. Having both the heat spike and the conveyor rail that long isn't necessary. I could have had only the bottom 3 window tiles and the rest be conveyor rails. Or a much shorter conveyor rail than only go over a few of the top-most window tiles.

Yes those are window diamond tiles. Window diamond tiles and Metal tiles are pretty much inter-changeable: they are high TC tiles with high melting temperature (though be careful about which metal you use).

The simplest way is to build a system with thermal conductivity bottle neck. My very first volcano tamer was build like that. Magma flowing from 2 volcanos, forming 2 magma blades of 10 tiles long from different directions. Horizontal tunnel 2 tiles high, vacuum, walls insulated obsidian or ceramic. Starting from 10 tile bottom simple obsidian, top simple igneous rock on 11th tile in which two magma blades are joining - tempshift plates from igneous rock connecting bottom and top tiles. Regular igneous rock top tiles are placed in chess formation, steam chamber on top, autosweeper in steam chamber reaches to magma tunnel where debris is formed and stays there bathing in magma. Autosweeper loads hot igneous rock on conveyor rails system looped in steam chamber, all system holds temperature which is set on conveyor rails thermo sensor. 3 ST cooled by 1 AT using water from ST, not working full time. At worst case magma from 2 volcanos was overflowing my magma tunnel forming two layers and reaching ceiling which are just simple igneous rock tiles, but everything worked well. All the heat naturally sinks in to steam chamber only regulated by thermal conductivity of tiles... Oh... Steam chamber full of tempshift plates strating with igneous rock and going up with sandstone and granite, steam ~300 kg per tile.

So no doors, no pumps, no exploits, no debris teleportation or anything too fancy, no space materials, some steel for AT, autosweeper and loader.

Archived