Why does Eye of terror spawn near other players?

Yesterday, I was testing the update for the first time on public server. I was lucky af, found the terrarium day 1 and was playing wigfrid. So i just touched the terrarium on the first night and waited. Nothing spawned, new player joined and got killed immediately (i am hereby sorry for that). So is that supposed to be behaving like that or is it a bug? What are the rules?

Yeah I joined late on a public during winter, and was using extreme survival tactics, got ambushed by triple mactusks so I had really low HP, but was overall happy because I managed to escape and get a tusk. Then I read the warning sign that the eye was focusing on me.... 

12/10 would run in circles all night again.

3 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Yeah I joined late on a public during winter, and was using extreme survival tactics, got ambushed by triple mactusks so I had really low HP, but was overall happy because I managed to escape and get a tusk. Then I read the warning sign that the eye was focusing on me.... 

12/10 would run in circles all night again.

these long winter nights to boot !

In my case, i just decided to use it against a cocky wigfrid early autumn to see if she would stand her ground. She ended up deploying the escape tactic with precision.

So let me try and get this straight- you guys didn’t want Klei to add in RNG chance small mob encounters you could beat away with a simple stick, and instead had to have some terrifying randomly spawning boss that picks a random player on the server to attack?

This should probably just be changed so that the eye can only spawn in the radius of the Terrariums light arc… unless they want to add a World Gen toggle option to have BOTH it randomly spawn on players, or just spawn at location of Terrarium.

Archived