i find that is extremely difficult to plant all these plants such as: sleet wheat, grubfruit, waterweed, and dusk cap. i also find it (sort of) hard to ranch enough hatches to support my 13 dupe colony, and same thing for pacus or shove voles. tips? 

please and thank you.

this is probably just because i am an ignorant noob with only 190 hrs play time on the game.

Don’t accept new dupes until you can support them with sufficient food (and oxygen) production.

Also, don’t promote too aggressively if you’re relying on low quality food or you’ll run into morale problems.

You don’t have to grow everything.  If you’re having problems growing sleet wheat, for example, stick with bristle blossoms until you’ve got a robust climate control system in place.

Dusk caps are fairly easy to grow if you plant them in the lower levels of your colony where CO2 will naturally settle.

1 hour ago, BionicSandwich said:

If you want to expand your hatch ranching, I would look into having a system to automatically remove eggs from the pens, so they produce eggs at maximum capacity.

i have this already.

49 minutes ago, goboking said:

You don’t have to grow everything.  If you’re having problems growing sleet wheat, for example, stick with bristle blossoms until you’ve got a robust climate control system in place.

I am more having problems with the fact that the input liquid/fertilizer is not in the desired tempurature range, and can cause problems.

i also already have several AT/ST set up and my base is regulated at ~23 degrees.

49 minutes ago, goboking said:

Dusk caps are fairly easy to grow if you plant them in the lower levels of your colony where CO2 will naturally settle.

my colony is completely insulated with atmo suits as the only way outside the base, and i have a carbon skimmer at the very bottom.

i also have troubles getting natural gas for the gas range.

It’s seems that you are going a bit too fast, slow down a bit, there is no hurry. Dupes don’t mind living of low quality food for 1500 cycles as long as you keep the amount of skills low. Use the scrubber to reassign skills if needed.

Early game food:

• Meallice 
  • hatches

midgame:

• duskcaps
  • bristtleberry
  • Stone hatch 

lategame

• Everything else

12 hours ago, spike4597 said:

find that is extremely difficult to plant all these plants such as: sleet wheat, grubfruit, waterweed, and dusk cap.

I don`t really get what might be the problem with grubfruit. It`s the easiest out of them to farm. Only thing might be the lack of sulfur but there should be large amounts around the biome where the plant spawns. It has a large temperature range and should grow just fine without much attention. Adding a grub grub or sweetle will make them grow higher quality food.

Sleet wheat is annoying to farm as water tends to freeze in the pipes if you cool them below 0 and it`s hard to keep them within the 5 degree above. But you can safely feed them water that`s warmer as long as you use insulated pipes. Also make sure the dirt is not hot (best store it in cool water so it cools down).

Waterweed is pretty simple just needs a small layer of water above the farm. It`s harder to get the required salt water ti irrigate them since salt geysers are a rare spawn and getting enough bleach stone can be hard as well. Generally waterweed isn`t worth to farm unless you want it for higher tier foods.

Dusk caps are easily farmed on the bottom of the base as mentioned above but you can also pump some CO2 to an enclosed room (just redirect a pipe from the nat gas generators). Slime ofgassing might be annoying so it`s better to fertilize it from below and have a high priority container for slime under water.

11 hours ago, spike4597 said:

i also have troubles getting natural gas for the gas range.

If you don`t have a gas geyser you can get enough nat gas from a fertilizer maker. Just put it on airflow tiles and put a pump below in a small enclosed space. It will eventually produce enough to allow some gas range cooking but i didn`t dothe math on how much you need for 13 dupes. The leftover fertilizer will help your farms or be useful as rocket oxydizer.

For Sleet Wheat the best strategy is to make an insulated tile enclosure for the farm, use insulated pipes to deliver warm water to avoid freezing in pipes - but it's fine if the water goes below zero in the hydroponics tiles - and run a cooling loop behind the plants which is cooled by Aquatuner. Plants delete some of the heat in the fertilizer when they consume it so there's no advantage to pre-cooling fertilizer.

Normally I use a pwater loop Aquatuned to -5 C for cooling Sleet Wheat. If you need to cool other stuff like Bristle Blossoms, you can use a Valve to tap off a reduced flow rate like 500 g/s (experiment) that won't provide too much cooling. Also if you have a Cool Slush/Salt Geyser, you can take the -10 C water and run it behind the Sleet Wheat plants, then heat it up some more until it's safe to turn into water (for example you could run it behind a SPOM, or just use a Liquid Tepidizer), and feed the warm water to the Sleet Wheat via insulated pipes.

I don't use the Gas Range very much in Spaced Out, because Berry Sludge is overpowered and it has the munchies for natural gas. When i do use it, it's mainly for making Mixed Berry Pie, which is the natural progression from Berry Sludge and Grubfruit Preserve.

7 hours ago, blakemw said:

For Sleet Wheat the best strategy is to make an insulated tile enclosure for the farm, use insulated pipes to deliver warm water to avoid freezing in pipes - but it's fine if the water goes below zero in the hydroponics tiles - and run a cooling loop behind the plants which is cooled by Aquatuner. Plants delete some of the heat in the fertilizer when they consume it so there's no advantage to pre-cooling fertilizer.

Normally I use a pwater loop Aquatuned to -5 C for cooling Sleet Wheat. 

i did just this, with a petroleum loop cooled to ~-30C(just in case) and it worked perfectly!

i will get screenshots of the grubfruit and bristle berry farms i tried soon, and i will also get a screenshot for my sleet wheat farm.

thank you!(i love it when people are helpful.)

Archived