Tone Down Space Radiation

58 minutes ago, WhiteWind36 said:

Don't mean to be rude or something like that, but for first type of players there is rim world... Engineering and space travel is what makes ONI so special and attractive.  And micromanaging dupes, or player's wishes for more animations and emotions, clothes and other cosmetics it's more of a fashion thing IMHO. Never cared about that sort of things.

For me ONI is about what you can think of - what systems and automations you could set up, how you can combine game mechanics in some interesting way, what physics will work in your build, how it will interact in different ways. And how it looks?...meh doesn't matter as long as I can see something and understand what it is. Of course game is not for me only, so yeah, I do understand that most of the players want to have awesome looking game that's easy and fun.

How does radiation applies to it?... On first part there is something more to learn and to think of, but it's not really interacting with other game parts physics. As for the second it's gives nothing fun at all.

The very first thing you have to decide after clicking on "New game" is literally this:

Spoiler

457140_20211201115406_1.thumb.png.80fd2205829946cad761fefce9b23377.png

Diverting players who select "Survival" towards other games like Rimworld because of your personal preferences is questionable at best. Duplicants are part of the game, they have needs and they can die. Managing their needs is part of the game in Survival mode, as much as managing colony resources. All of this can be adjusted and fined-tuned through game settings depending on players preferences. This has nothing to do with aesthetics and emotions. It also means that you might be in a situation where you have to manually move duplicants because they're standing in the wrong place, or that you might have to load up some materials on the rocket by clicking on a few buttons - it's part of the game. Duplicants are the main workforce in survival mode, and those who can't be bothered tending to the petty needs of Duplicants have the option to work in sandbox mode with instant builds and infinite resources (or any variation of it to accomodate their preferences).

42 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Diverting players who select "Survival" towards other games like Rimworld because of your personal preferences is questionable at best.

Wouldn't put it that way. I am playing only on survival for a regular challenge and of course there should be some micromanaging, and I am using it a lot even in places where I could be making some automations, all I am saying it is not what makes ONI special and attractive. This aspect is pretty common in many other games.

47 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Duplicants are part of the game, they have needs and they can die. Managing their needs is part of the game in Survival mode, as much as managing colony resources.

Dublicants by their name "dublicant" means they are replacable part of the system like everything else in ONI

31 minutes ago, WhiteWind36 said:

Wouldn't put it that way. I am playing only on survival for a regular challenge and of course there should be some micromanaging, and I am using it a lot even in places where I could be making some automations, all I am saying it is not what makes ONI special and attractive. This aspect is pretty common in many other games.

Dublicants by their name "dublicant" means they are replacable part of the system like everything else in ONI

All this is very subjective and applies to you. Don't get me wrong, I do share your excitement about engineering and space in ONI and I am certain that others do as well.

I also see dupes as an important resource (work time) and a constraint, as they dictate the primary resources needed to maintain your entire workforce (food and O2, and not dying of radiation or other things). I do hate losing dupes, not because I am emotionally attached to them, but because if I do, it means that somewhere down the line, I have made a mistake with my resource management or planning of my colony and it could have been avoided. Accidents happen, sure, but they can also be prevented.

Actually, imo, a vast majority of the engineering projects I undertake in ONI originate from duplicants needs in some way. Why do you need O2? Why food? Why do you need power? Why bother with cooling? Why do you need to explore space and gather resources? A lot of those answers can directly or indirectly be linked to maintaining your colony and duplicants alive. ONI wouldn't be the same for me if duplicants were not part of the equation, which is why I do not enjoy playing in sandbox mode, not even to test my designs - I do that in survival.

Radiation might not directly interact with other ONI "physics" like, for example, heat transfer, but it adds a layer of complexity in how you approach your other engineering projects in survival mode. Can you simply queue up this building project in space or do you need to set up some sort of plan to protect your dupes? Coal is not present on every asteroid, does this mean you need to start ranching hatches to make rad pills? How many? What are you going to feed them temporarily, long term/permanently? Do you need to plan your rocket interior differently because you want to go on a distant asteroid and radiation is high over there? etc. Those are just examples, there are others. Most of those involve utilizing resources that may or may not be readily available to you at a given time. The nice thing about ONI is that any layer of difficulty can be adjusted (including radiation in the next patch) through game settings.

For that reason, I think Klei made a right decision in making it a threat to duplicants unlike what it used to be. It could just be ignored. Changing radbolt generators efficiency would translate into a challenge of scaling your systems up or down, or just waiting shorter/longer, but that's about it. This could stress your power grid to different levels I guess? Anyway, really looking forward for the radiation game setting to hit live branch so that everyone can play with it at a level of their choosing without impacting everyone else's preferred playstyle. :wilson_flower:

2 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

I do hate losing dupes, not because I am emotionally attached to them, but because if I do, it means that somewhere down the line, I have made a mistake with my resource management or planning of my colony and it could have been avoided. Accidents happen, sure, but they can also be prevented.

Totally agree. And sorry if my opinion sounded too offending or inpropriate... Although I am talking about making systems and planning, but I do, like some dupes, overreact to radiation... I accept this challenge but it's still annoying dupes getting flashed green light and covering themselves with hands every time they do need to go in this new x10 radiation and no planning can prevent this.

24 minutes ago, WhiteWind36 said:

Totally agree. And sorry if my opinion sounded too offending or inpropriate... Although I am talking about making systems and planning, but I do, like some dupes, overreact to radiation... I accept this challenge but it's still annoying dupes getting flashed green light and covering themselves with hands every time they do need to go in this new x10 radiation and no planning can prevent this.

No offense taken :-)

I guess Klei has already reacted to this topic 

"The nice thing about ONI is that any layer of difficulty can be adjusted (including radiation in the next patch) through game settings"

This satisfies both types of players. The dispute is over?

Archived