Sailing Functionality Item Request: The Sail Limiter

So having recently spent a lot of time sailing, I have noticed myself in many situations where I wanted to have a sail down, but not have the speed of the full sail. So what I propose is a sail limiter item that would attach to the mast like a Deck Illuminator or Lightning Conductor. The Limiter would have 3 settings: quarter, half, and full. When the sail is completely raised, the mast with a Limiter attached can be interacted with to change the current setting. 

At quarter-mast, the sail provides quarter power when lowered, it raises fully in half the time of a full mast

At half-mast, the sail provides half power and raises in 2/3rds the time of a full mast.

At full mast the sail functions normally.

I think this would be useful for me when navigating areas that require tight movement or have many obstacles. Currently, I just opt to raise my sails and use oars when sailing through these areas but I would prefer to not have to by having further control of my sails.

Visually, a limited sail would appear to just be that sail 1/4 (or 1/2) the way along the raising animation, so no new textures would need to be made other than for the item itself.

6 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

So having recently spent a lot of time sailing, I have noticed myself in many situations where I wanted to have a sail down, but not have the speed of the full sail. So what I propose is a sail limiter item that would attach to the mast like a Deck Illuminator or Lightning Conductor. The Limiter would have 3 settings: quarter, half, and full. When the sail is completely raised, the mast with a Limiter attached can be interacted with to change the current setting. 

At quarter-mast, the sail provides quarter power when lowered, it raises fully in half the time of a full mast

At half-mast, the sail provides half power and raises in 2/3rds the time of a full mast.

At full mast the sail functions normally.

I think this would be useful for me when navigating areas that require tight movement or have many obstacles. Currently, I just opt to raise my sails and use oars when sailing through these areas but I would prefer to not have to by having further control of my sails.

Visually, a limited sail would appear to just be that sail 1/4 (or 1/2) the way along the raising animation, so no new textures would need to be made other than for the item itself.

Why not use the anchor?

Often times Ill use the anchor to lower the speed of my boat but not completely stop it.

Archived