You've added all this late game content - while it's great - in theory...the game simply cannot be enjoyable after utilizing it.  You have to sacrifice having fun for FPS management.  I have a very fast system - I've tried process lasso and other utilities to dedicate ONI it's own threads.  I've done everything that is listed anywhere with any information regarding game speed issues.

I love the game...absolutely love it.  I just want to play it without having to worry about 100 different things that cause lag.  Hell, earlier today it was running smooth-ish at cycle 550...I restart my computer and now it lags during pause screens...causing me to try and time my building placements with the stutter!  While paused!  You guys need to write this like a modern game and allow for game engine integrated multi-threading and use of the GPU.  I've got an RTX 3070 and it doesn't even use it...you have given all the workload to one CPU core (well 90% of it).

When will we stop getting upgrades we can only play with in a slide show, while grumbling and restarting colonies?  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Bombcat2015 said:

I just want to play it without having to worry about 100 different things that cause lag.

this game is still possible play with 30 fps tho. with the huge latency at cycles.

let me clear this out. even if they find way increase performance at least same like it was in old versions what is very good, there still be limit for you at some point. no matter what pc you have.

factorio game have huge map. i mean way higer than this game have. but at that game is same thing. you will need at the end the supercomputer, you ether run out at there the cpu or memory

Factorio has a much better utilization on multiple cpu cores. For any simulation/management game, it is more demanding on CPU than on GPU.

In the end of the day, it is a tradeoff in the development cycle in which developers decide if they want to add more features or improve performance. On top of that, how much performance can squeeze into a game depends on how well the foundation is built. If the foundation was meant for a three features game, it doesn't matter how much patches are introduced, it wouldn't scale well beyond three-feature.

To improve performance, devs would have to rebuild the foundation, that was what the devs in Factorio has done multiple times. Given the studio of Factorio is wholly owned by the devs and has a financially supportive community, they have the luxury to do so. However, it can't be said the same for Klei as we all know Klei now has a majority owner that would demand performance(pun intended) as any shareholder would. To change the foundation also runs the risk of collapsing everything on the top. If anything goes wrong, instead of the initial goal of getting better perf, now devs would have to fix bugs introduced by new changes. The economic cost would be much larger than average players would expect. (To change a piece of code from single-threaded to multithread, it would take more than 10 times effort to test and debug the code.)

Moreover, in-game performance, especially late game performance, doesn't incur more sales. For any game, more than 80% players would not even reach the half-way milestone. To be frank, from a business perspective, performance has a rather low priority. Just for the record, I am a modder who has written multiple performance-improving mods for survival/management games like ONI. I can totally understand the need for more perf from enthusiasts. Until Klei pays more to devs or hires more manpower, I wouldn't expect major perf improvement in late game.

1 hour ago, Drowsy Corgi said:

Factorio

thing is, they use at day one the right game engine for a game what not have end limit. even tho they to needed recode allot.

those poor uses who not able buy the new supercomputers are able enjoy at there much longer the game without start see issues. and that is also key for selling. if you make game only for supercomputer you may end only with 10 customers

55 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

thing is, they use at day one the right game engine for a game what not have end limit. even tho they to needed recode allot.

those poor uses who not able buy the new supercomputers are able enjoy at there much longer the game without start see issues. and that is also key for selling. if you make game only for supercomputer you may end only with 10 customers

you don't need a super computer, only need to overclock your cpu over 5ghz....

33 minutes ago, Drowsy Corgi said:

you don't need a super computer, only need to overclock your cpu over 5ghz....

that is your thinking at here atm. as you have cpu what is able todo that. but factorio is game what is able play much older pc where you dont need

5 ghz cpu.

anyway currently there no point buy any new pc because next year comes out ddr5 ,those speeds goes way much higer than current ddr4 are able todo

there is also some leaks already about upcoming i9-12900K

Archived