The Cookbook category Veggies should be renamed

image.thumb.png.94c04048aa9ed9e16bdd6f02aa2be379.pngAs the title says, the sub-category inside the cookbook named "Veggies" should be changed, it's misleading and illogical. It should be changed to "Vegetarian" or any other applicable adjective.

The category exists to denote which foods have the faster eating animation, safe to eat for Wurt, Merms, Beefalos and cannot be consumed by Wigfrid and caged birds. However, the name of the category implies vegetable ingredients, which is very misleading and 1/3rd of the listed recipes cannot be made with Vegetables- they will turn to ratatouille (Banana Pop, Melonsicle, Ice Cream, Trail Mix, Fruit Medley, Fistful of Jam). Furthermore, some other dishes like Waffles, Pumpkin Cookies, Butter Muffin and Powdercake hardly warrant the description "veggie". It also promotes a false notion that there are barely any filling vegetable recipes, as recipes such as Beefy Greens and Barnacle Linguini are by all means vegetable driven and there are so many further hybrit recipes that require veggies in them that are categorized under "meats". 

As such, I think Vegetarian fits perfectly to describe these dishes as a whole. Perhaps "meats" category should also be changed to "Omnivorous", "Carnetarian", "Meaty" or "Non-vegetarian".

Finally, I believe the "other" category also warrants some rearranging. For the time being it doesn't stand for much besides 'dishes that don't use meats, vegetables and fruits in their recipe'. I believe making it the category of Goodies (dishes both vegetarian and carnivorous entities can eat) + unusually behaving dishes would make the most sense and iirc, the only dish in the category that doesn't go along with categorizing is the Soothing Tea. It should be moved to the vegetarian dishes page as it cannot be consumed by Wigfrid and other carnivorous entities, just like Ice Cream. 

image.png.54039fa65ac7c36df7d26d23de3fd90e.png

There is a lot of weirdness in general regarding foods and what category they belong to.

The reason these foods are categorized as veggie is just because that is what their food type is called internally, same goes for all the other categories including the leafy meat dishes. I've been a tiny bit bothered by this for years as there's so many foods that don't really exclusively belong in one single category in my eyes but because of how food types work, they are stuck to just a single one usually (at least functionally, foods can technically have two food types but in a lot of examples this would not matter since certain food types would be more relevant when checked for than others, such as meat).

One thing to take note of is that the food type of something is not equal to a food's ingredient value. Food types are used to determine which foods can be eaten by who/what entity while ingredient values are used by the crockpot exclusively. There is a lot of terminology overlap between the two and it gets really confusing really quickly as a result.

In my opinion categorizing foods that require veggies but have meats under just meats is fine, as it would be weird to consider them veggie just based off of them also requiring veggies since at that point this would apply to a lot of meat recipes and would be even more confusing than the whole system already is. The reason I bring this up is because the cookbook categorizes the foods based on their foodtypes and aren't, at least to my knowledge, manually put in categories.

One thing I do agree on though is that the other category should be tweaked up a bit. Not that it should be removed entirely, that would be a bit much in my eyes, especially because we have recipes that wouldn't make any sense to categorize as anything really. The other category in my opinion fits most for dishes that could as well have different food types that players actually get affected by and are not most common amongst foods as a whole. And in a way it already is that, the other category sums up goodies and generic/edible foods as well as ones without a foodtype, which is what soothing tea and wet goop would fall into. 

All the more confusing to me is that buttermuffin, ice cream, soothing tea and pumpkin cookies aren't goodies and that everything leafy meat related is strictly just meat. You can probably see the case for buttermuffin, ice cream, soothing tea and pumpkin cookies as those would be believable to be goodies, leafy meat though I admit is probably just because it annoys me how leafy meat is pretending to be a vegetarian meat substitute but then acts just identical as meat with everyone commenting on how weird and unheard of it is that this is plant based meat. (Also because I don't know where else to put this, barnacles are arthropods, and as such animals. This is why I feel that their dishes being categorized as meat makes sense.)

17 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the mushcake also doenst have much sense to be there

Also I would tend to agree, but I think the point of the mushcake being a goodie was so that Wigfrid can also benefit from it without needing to make a second dish that is meat based and does the same thing.

That being said it's still really weird how 4 mushrooms just result in a cake that is seemingly sweet enough to warrant being a goodie...

8 minutes ago, Nettalie said:

Also I would tend to agree, but I think the point of the mushcake being a goodie was so that Wigfrid can also benefit from it without needing to make a second dish that is meat based and does the same thing.

That being said it's still really weird how 4 mushrooms just result in a cake that is seemingly sweet enough to warrant being a goodie...

idk why wigfrid needs that hard it to ignore her only downside

if woodie cant avoid full moon during celestial champion shenanigans then why would wigfrid has that dish that anyways isnt needed for anything 

58 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

idk why wigfrid needs that hard it to ignore her only downside

if woodie cant avoid full moon during celestial champion shenanigans then why would wigfrid has that dish that anyways isnt needed for anything 

I mean I always think it's nice to have as many options as possible as any character. So I get why they wanted Wigfrid not to be locked out of the benefits of it entirely (like for example with nettles in Hamlet, which resulted in Wigfrid being really awkward to play during Lush season there).

If we would have more dishes that keep you awake, if the mushy cake would prevent grogginess altogether, if avoiding high enlightenment wasn't tied to staying at low sanity or if the ingredients wouldn't be so extremely specific (and also replantable), maybe that effect of the mushy cake would be something to seek out more than it is now.
As it currently stands its effect is only doing half of what would make a sleep preventing food useful in my opinion (unless you eat another mushy cake when you're already groggy, but chances are you're not only gonna get groggy again but you might even fall asleep before even being able to purge the grogginess), the only food giving you the effect is too complicated to utilize reliably and keeping your sanity low through other means (such as with one of the ingredients of the mushy cake) already provides a safer method of preventing gestalts from attacking you, with the cost of potentially having to restore your sanity afterwards, which is actually easier than lowering your sanity in the first place.

Also in all honesty, Woodie is just screwed in ANYTHING related to return of them. Half of rot's overworld content is related to full moons which is awkward for Woodie.

Archived