Diamond Maker example design

Here is a base-design for an integrated Diamond Maker using WWs as radiation source. It does show nicely that the Dimond Press is actually pretty well parametrized.

This is a design that I feel represents a best overall compromise. You can obviously adjust it in various ways.

• Needs about 1000W average power and 4kg Phosphorite/cycle (a bit less than 1/2 Drecko).
  • Produces about 22kg of Diamond/cycle, i.e. takes about 45 cycles to supply one drill-cone mission (1000kg of Diamond).
  • With Nat Gas, it is self-cooling. The Space Heater (set to 20C) is needed so the WWs and the water-lock do not freeze.
    If you fill with Oxygen instead, you need to provide something like 1.5kDTU/s of external cooling.
  • Radbolt Generators can be set to 500 bolts. The press needs 1000 bolts but can store 2000 bolts.

base_design.png.8923ace684fe31b4969beab4c2d35d21.png

14 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

With Nat Gas, it is self-cooling. The Space Heater (set to 20C) is needed so the WWs and the water-lock do not freeze.

Nice - I would suggest removing the space heater and instead use uninsulated tiles at least around the top area so that some of the cold "escapes" the box and provides some cooling in the immediate area. It is inefficient to heat up the cooling you are providing, a pet peeve of mine. Otherwise, pretty neat and simple design!

59 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Nice - I would suggest removing the space heater and instead use uninsulated tiles at least around the top area so that some of the cold "escapes" the box and provides some cooling in the immediate area. It is inefficient to heat up the cooling you are providing, a pet peeve of mine. Otherwise, pretty neat and simple design!

Thank you! Of course you can use the extra cooling in some other way. The space-heater is basically only there to make the design self-contained.

Nice design... I really like the use of gas choice to directly balance heat and cold generation. I am not sure it is an improvement but I would probably lower the efficiency and move the press / use a redirect to prevent accidentally hitting a dupe. 

2 hours ago, Ceos said:

Nice design... I really like the use of gas choice to directly balance heat and cold generation. I am not sure it is an improvement but I would probably lower the efficiency and move the press / use a redirect to prevent accidentally hitting a dupe. 

Thanks!

Dupes should not be hit as the press should catch all bolts. If the press gets disabled or runs out of refined carbon, dupes could get hit when delivering Phosphorite. Moving the ladder to the left should solve that though. On the other hand, moving press right a bit and using a redirector would not cost much with 500-count radbolts. The ladder should go left with that too.

I don't know the output temperature of the diamond but I am realizing that it will act to moderate the temperature.  For a "real world" version you probably don't need the heater for how little you are off of exact balance.

Humm... would have to do some math but maybe hydrogen and bring in the coal to refined carbon in the room? Would be great for the room to take in coal and output diamond. Such a simple elegant design I don't quite understand my desire to make it more complex :???:.

Archived