Do I have internet issues or DST connection issues?

Here's a bunch of screenshots taken from my client logs and server logs. I have been having the following issues the last few weeks:

1. Could not connect on log in. Repeatedly pressing cancel and log in sometimes works.

2. Unable to download notifications. Basically none of news tabs appear in the front page of the game.

3. Daily rewards. Not receiving them or receiving the same one several times, but actually once according to the Klei account rewards page. 

4. No skins of any character or item in the game. Using wardrobe defaults to default skin of a character.

5. Dedicated Server failed to start. The classic problem, takes several retries and minutes to suddenly connect and log in.

6. Connection failed upon exiting or entering caves. I have to ALT+F4 out of this one because the screen goes black after pressing Okay.

7. Unable to switch to DLC characters e.g. Wormwood. Choosing a DLC character from Celestial Portal gives me Wilson. OG Wilson. I have wasted many moon altars on this.

I have tried all the usual stuff - verifying game files, reinstalling, removing all mods, etc. But the problem persists. Any help would be much appreciated. 

I had posted on the DST bugs page but no replies, hence posting here.

Screenshot 2021-09-01 225122.png

Screenshot 2021-09-01 225422.png

Screenshot 2021-09-01 225556.png

Yesterday when me and my friend were going to resume playing our saved world (with caves, default settings, no mods or console commands or rollbacks ever being used on this server) this message kept appearing and refused to go away:

20210901115826_1.thumb.jpg.b983316adba41f4ba3d94c127c8ae80d.jpg

It was baffling, since it was the first time I had seen such error and the day before we played for a long while, visiting both the overworld but also spending a longer time in the caves. Eventually we saved the game and logged off, just like usual.

I tried restarting the game and verifying the integrity of the game files on Steam, and Steam wasn't complaining about anything. The error persisted. There were no problems with the online connection evident whatsoever. In the server logs (cave and forest) there was nothing that hinted of any error either. At this point I was extremely confused. I've never had an error in DST before.

My friend suggested that I send him the Cluster_1 folder with the saved world. He simply renamed it to "Cluster_4" and could start the server without any issues (???!!). We played for about 2 hours or slightly longer and saved the game. Afterwards he sent me his saved world, named "Cluster_4", and I renamed it back to the original name "Cluster_1" and tried to launch the server and this time it worked as normal, without any problems.

This was super strange and confusing and we still have no clue what was up with hosting the game yesterday.

Also, when the error appeared, I tried to load another locally saved world and it loaded without any problem. It was just that particular saved world that was acting up and refused to start. Now everything seems to work as normal (after my friend resent me the saved world).

In fact, especially with Cave shard, seems to be a pretty widespread problem - after Waterlogged update came - with dedicated servers most of all: Caves appear to crash quite often, also corrupting saves. This on top of the swarm-mobs (Spiders, Bees) causing unplayable levels of lag. I for one witnessed this issue on 5 separate dedicated servers - below is the error window I get from one of them, that had its Cave shard crashed while I was in said Caves:

20210830225748_1.thumb.jpg.aed5ceb80efeeefd1eb007319dcb8c97.jpg

Also part from a discussion I witnessed on a Discord channel between 2 dedicated servers admins, related to server crashes:

error-discussion.png.2510848b19313af0079b884397e95400.png

On a persona note, I haven't seen since am playing DST a more buggy mess of an update as Waterlogged, with game-breaking problems that still persist even now, namely swarm mobs causing unbearable lag, random dedicated server crashes in vanilla (Caves being main culprit), random error windows popping in etc.

Ohh. Thanks a bunch for the input, @x0-VERSUS-1y! That is super useful to know! To clarify, this saved world was hosted normally from within the game and not as a dedicated server. I guess the client still refers to (cave) shard as a dedicated server from within the game.

Indeed. I didn't type it very eloquently in the previous post but mentioned that we went to the caves and did a lot of things there (including exploring the ruins and the archives; the latter for the first time) during that play session. Your theory about the cave server triggering an error sounds more than likely. The strange thing is that nothing intelligent was mentioned in the server logs, and that my friend managed to host the same world using the save files (and stranger still that I could host it after he sent the save files back to me, after we had played for a while). Maybe the cave server caused some wonky error for the hosting client (this computer) after having played last time.

Archived