Any way to make 32 bit the default?

Since getting into the beta, dst continually tries to launch in 64 bit, despite my pc not being able to handle it. It refuses to launch like this, making me go to steam itself and having to manually select 32 bit. Is there a way to make this the default launch setting?

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

then try to launch it using the .exe from this folder

image.thumb.png.ca49edf8bb9e9fb581cfd1a579e8c24b.png

image.thumb.png.4292f6cfc939494d2a25264ab491dff5.png

is weird that steam doesnt ask you which version do you want to launch 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.cf3048b1335691a243fe6dcb2f472bac.png

steam does ask me what version i want to launch- my issue is that on my desktop, it will only launch the 64 bit version. i'll try what you suggested, though

• Developer

Sorry, I misread what you said. If you are using a desktop shortcut, the please make sure it is pointing to the exe of choice (as ArubaroBeefalo suggested).

That said, since steam is prompting you to chose a build, it sounds like you do have a 64 bit computer. Would you be able to try running the 64 bit version again and then submit a bug report with the client log file?

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

It should be launching straight into the 32bit version, without promoting, if you have a 32-bit computer. We will look into this.

Double checked my specs, my PC is in fact a 64 bit system. Not sure whether it's a problem on my end or steams, but the game simply won't open in the 64 bit version, even though my system has the capability to do so.

50 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Sorry, I misread what you said. If you are using a desktop shortcut, the please make sure it is pointing to the exe of choice (as ArubaroBeefalo suggested).

That said, since steam is prompting you to chose a build, it sounds like you do have a 64 bit computer. Would you be able to try running the 64 bit version again and then submit a bug report with the client log file?

I'm a bit confused on where I'd actually find these logs. I've narrowed the issue down a bit more- when attempting to launch the 64 bit version of the beta, steam tries to open it, but stops trying after a few moments, without giving me any sort of failure notification. I don't have this same issue with the 32 bit version, and my system runs 64 bit applications just fine, normally. I'm not sure where this would be logged

Not sure if these are what you're looking for, but i have this

"[2021-07-26 17:55:59] Checking for update on startup [2021-07-26 17:55:59] Checking for available updates... [2021-07-26 17:55:59] Downloading manifest: https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/client/steam_client_win32 [2021-07-26 17:55:59] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_win32 version 1626824053, installed version 1626824053, existing pending version 0 [2021-07-26 17:55:59] Nothing to do [2021-07-26 17:55:59] Verifying installation... [2021-07-26 17:55:59] Performing checksum verification of executable files [2021-07-26 17:56:01] Verification complete [2021-07-26 17:56:02] Background update loop checking for update. . . [2021-07-26 17:56:02] Checking for available updates... [2021-07-26 17:56:02] Downloading manifest: https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/client/steam_client_win32 [2021-07-26 17:56:03] Download skipped by HTTP 304 Not Modified [2021-07-26 17:56:03] Nothing to do [2021-07-27 00:16:52] Background update loop checking for update. . . [2021-07-27 00:16:52] Downloading manifest: https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/client/steam_client_win32 [2021-07-27 00:16:53] Download skipped by HTTP 304 Not Modified [2021-07-27 00:16:53] Nothing to do"

39 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

That client log says you launched the 32 bit version, could you delete that file, and try and launch the x64 version again, and re upload the file/report if the file didn't get regenerated. 

Strange thing, I went to delete the client log and try opening the 64 bit version again. When I did that, it finally launched without issue. Not sure what was going on. I'll include the 64 bit logs anyways

client_log.txt

On 7/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, ScottHansen said:

Hi. Sorry to bother, I'm having the same problem with launching the 32 bit game.

First of all, there is zero problem launching it inside steam - it opens the correct exe.

However, if I try to launch the 32 bit version through a shortcut or directly from the exe itself (bin/dontstarve_steam.exe), I always end up with the 64 bit version.

Normally, it would not be a big problem. But the thing is, a friend of my has a pretty outdated PC with only 4GB of ram and a 64bit operating system. So the 64 bit game, steam's default choice, would feel really laggy on that machine. He's looking to redirect his desktop shortcut to the 32 bit version.

Would you mind helping us with this weird desktop shortcut problem on steam? Maybe some launch options on steam that we could use. Thanks.

• Developer
4 hours ago, PuffinBy said:

Hi. Sorry to bother, I'm having the same problem with launching the 32 bit game.

First of all, there is zero problem launching it inside steam - it opens the correct exe.

However, if I try to launch the 32 bit version through a shortcut or directly from the exe itself (bin/dontstarve_steam.exe), I always end up with the 64 bit version.

Normally, it would not be a big problem. But the thing is, a friend of my has a pretty outdated PC with only 4GB of ram and a 64bit operating system. So the 64 bit game, steam's default choice, would feel really laggy on that machine. He's looking to redirect his desktop shortcut to the 32 bit version.

Would you mind helping us with this weird desktop shortcut problem on steam? Maybe some launch options on steam that we could use. Thanks.

Thats not how 32bit/64bit works.
If your computer is capable of launching the 64 bit executable, you should launch the 64 bit executable.
The game is not more demanding on 64 bit vs 32 bit.

2 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

Thats not how 32bit/64bit works.
If your computer is capable of launching the 64 bit executable, you should launch the 64 bit executable.
The game is not more demanding on 64 bit vs 32 bit.

Thanks for explaining. So  I should get him to submit a bug report next time he runs to performance issue like that.

I get horrible performance playing on a 3000+ day solo world if I launch my game on 64-bit. It runs much better on 32-bit, so hearing the game is not more demanding on 64 leaves me lost on what it could possibly be.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, -Kiyo- said:

I get horrible performance playing on a 3000+ day solo world if I launch my game on 64-bit. It runs much better on 32-bit, so hearing the game is not more demanding on 64 leaves me lost on what it could possibly be.

Nobody said that it is less demanding on 64bits, what 64bits means is that the game can use more stuff in your pc to perform better IF NEDDED.

If the game works fine in 32 bits but not in 64 could mean that your computer isnt prepare for running the 64version

Archived