Balance Healing Food

I've been taming a lot of beefalos recently and one their attributes that made me really like them, is how you can't give them infinite amount of food, because if their belly gets full, they will lost obedience; Which means you can't tank enemies forever. This makes you actually think and strategize, and also makes flower salad a viable food since it restores so little hunger that it won't fill up the beef's belly too fast.

So I thought, maybe there should be some sort of drawback for spamming healing food for players as well? Because food is waaaay easier to acquire than any other healing method, which automatically makes the other methods less likely to be used. On top of that, there isn't really a downside for spamming food, while spamming most other healing methods is not possible due to their use time. On top of all that, this made us to have the misfortune of listening to Edgy Rick bitching about pierogies all the time...

So maybe there could be some sort of drawback for overfeeding? Like, a little bit of speed penalty for eating too much, or dizziness that makes your attack speed slower... Just anything that will balance this out! Not only that makes other healing methods more useful, but also breaks the boring loop of : Get food, hit the enemy, eat food.

And yes, I know spoilage is a thing but considering the overabundance of food, that has never been an issue.

The disadvantage is the opportunity cost of the animation. Eating food has a fairly long animation, and while it can be spammed it can also be interrupted. Jelly Beans or soul dropping on the other hand are instant. Speaking of soul dropping, it's also far, far more efficient a source of healing than any other character's options if you have more than zero players. If you have a team, it's insanely strong.

I don't disagree that healing from food probably shouldn't be so high. Fishsticks in Shipwrecked for example are just ridiculous since you can make them from Limpets + Stick + 2x filler, meaning that with a crockpot or two healing is never an issue. Veggie Burgers & Jelly Salad are increasingly becoming my go to since it's so easy to set up large Leafy Meat farms on boats and supplement them with some farm plots & beehives. At least those don't become viable until Spring. It's always struck me as kind of an odd design choice that sanity is challenging to get from food, while health is easy. Unfortunately Wicker exists, so you can't balance the game around sleeping. A lot of this weird balance is probably due to the game being so old, and Klei's apparent unwillingness (or lethargy, we don't know what's in their pipeline) to rebalance old content to fit new content. Monster Meat compared to Meat compared to Fish in terms of time to gather vs resources gained for example. Most of the vanilla & ROG crockpot recipes need some kind of tweaking to bring them more in line with the far superior options from more recent updates.

the thing between heal food and healing salve or honey heal thing what ever that word was is that they never spoil so its easy to alsol have lots of those too and a healing salve is 20 healing wich is good and 30 for honey heal and both of them are not realy that hard to get anyways for healing salve just burn some sticks you have too many of and killing spiders is somethig you would do anyways and 1 stone is alsol nothing later on and honey heal is even easyer since there are not realy that many things that needs reeds or paper and honey is alsol easy to stockpile so its easy to make never spoiling 20 or 30 healing items that alsol have a stack up to 40 that you can just carry all the times whit you and get the full effect when ever you need while food has a timer on it wich makes the healing less and less and at somepoint there is nothing to eat for healing alsol it can sometimes be a waste of food to make so many healing foods be it to much hunger points wasted or just in general not havin something else to eat its still just so everyone is lazy and makes pirOP instead

On 7/20/2021 at 6:13 PM, Waynel said:

play coop with wigfrid and wortox. no healing food.

Dude, that takes even less effort than healing food xD

My problem is that you can just spam healing food with no drawbacks. I usually play wormwood or warly, because of their healing limitaions. That makes me take advantage of everything I can when it comes to healing.

18 minutes ago, Omid.R.G said:

Dude, that takes even less effort than healing food xD

My problem is that you can just spam healing food with no drawbacks. I usually play wormwood or warly, because of their healing limitaions. That makes me take advantage of everything I can when it comes to healing.

For that are made downsides

Archived