FPS Problems

Hello survivors!

My friend is struggling with FPS problem for like month. His FPS cant reach value of 60, he always has around 30 +-. He has these problems no matter on which server he plays. He already reinstalled his game but guess what - no change. Weird is, that he has on regular Dont Starve  normal 60 FPS (i know that DST is more difficult to run yada yada yada...) + Good to mention that he wasnt struggling with these problems normally. Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe the resolution in DST is set to one that is not the native resolution / refresh rate for the monitor. Your description of the problem is a adequate but there is not much technical info to follow.

What desktop resolution is he using? That is the model of the monitor / laptop? What operating system does the computer run? How does the video settings in DS / DST / other games look like?

Nice, thank you for sharing the information, although the settings under "Graphics" are more relevant in this case (namely the "Resolution" and "Refresh" ones).

According to information online the native resolution for that notebook screen is 1366x768, so the same resolution ought to be set in the game, along with the refresh rate. What do the "Refresh" and "Resolution" options say?

image.thumb.png.645e8a645684dd2c0c0de154d99d0b6d.png

It's normal on weak laptops. His pc a bit lack of RAM. Also, problem can be with internet speed. The game need fast enough and stable connection.

You shoul check a ping. In game press backspace button, then in right bottom corner find ping. It should be less then 100.

36 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

It's normal on weak laptops. He's pc a bit lack of RAM. Also, problem can be with internet speed. The game need fast enough and stable connection.

You shoul check a ping. In game press backspace button, then in right bottom corner find ping. It should be less then 100.

It lags even when im on offline mode i tried everything

Honestly, people should stop being surprised when a game runs badly on their 15 year old pcs with integrated graphics cards. Just set aside a couple hundred bucks and buy something from the current century. 

I dont think theres anything else you can do to improve your performance. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, AlienMagi said:

Honestly, people should stop being surprised when a game runs badly on their 15 year old pcs with integrated graphics cards. Just set aside a couple hundred bucks and buy something from the current century. 

I dont think theres anything else you can do to improve your performance. Good luck. 

9 hours ago, Ali Salman said:

ay man i checked it out and its 2000 lol and the entity counter is 1850

bruh it was doing fine i can run games with 60+ fps it started after wes rework if u know anyway to help say and stop being salty

1 hour ago, Ali Salman said:

bruh it was doing fine i can run games with 60+ fps it started after wes rework if u know anyway to help say and stop being salty

I think its to be expected that a game becomes slightly more demanding after each update. 

1 hour ago, AlienMagi said:

I think its to be expected that a game becomes slightly more demanding after each update. 

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: 1.7+ GHz or better
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon HD5450 or better; 256 MB or higher
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 3 GB available space
    • Sound Card: 100% DirectX9.0c compatible sound card and drivers

1 hour ago, Ali Salman said:
  • MINIMUM:

Im pretty sure that developets dont update requirements. 

Look i know it sucks that this happened to you,, ive been there (and then i bought a better pc). im just saying that buying a decent computer is probably your only solution.

37 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

Im pretty sure that developets dont update requirements. 

Look i know it sucks that this happened to you,, ive been there (and then i bought a better pc). im just saying that buying a decent computer is probably your only solution.

i have 4gb ram if i make it 6 will fix it?

12 hours ago, Ali Salman said:
  • MINIMUM:

minumim means that you can run it with low textures, limited to 15 or 30fps, in netbook mode, small map with 1 shard, not so much mobs or structures on screen, low resolution, etc 

The minimum requirements are not set in stone but should give you an idea. They are certainly not up to date, like pointed out in the previous post. The game fires up on my dual core 1.0 GHz laptop but as soon as something is going on on the screen everything becomes a slide show and slows to a painful crawl. Like other people write, your best bet is probably with better hardware. In case your current amount of RAM is the limiting factor, more RAM could help you for a bit, but the computer is not suited for the ideal Don't Starve Together experience (on servers with many entities that have been running for a long time).

Don't Starve Together relies on a fast processor, at least from my experience. Luckily, modern hardware is relatively cheap, especially if you assemble your computer yourself and go hunting for second hand peripherals.

You can set "Netbook Mode: Disabled → Enabled" (this will use lower resolution textures instead, which is less resource intense). In the game you can check the FPS rate in the upper right corner by pressing Backspace, for what it's worth, but I don't think any hardcore optimizations make much sense if you are stuck using such a processor.

16 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

The minimum requirements are not set in stone but should give you an idea. They are certainly not up to date, like pointed out in the previous post. The game fires up on my dual core 1.0 GHz laptop but as soon as something is going on on the screen everything becomes a slide show and slows to a painful crawl. Like other people write, your best bet is probably with better hardware. In case your current amount of RAM is the limiting factor, more RAM could help you for a bit, but the computer is not suited for the ideal Don't Starve Together experience (on servers with many entities that have been running for a long time).

Don't Starve Together relies on a fast processor, at least from my experience. Luckily, modern hardware is relatively cheap, especially if you assemble your computer yourself and go hunting for second hand peripherals.

You can set "Netbook Mode: Disabled → Enabled" (this will use lower resolution textures instead, which is less resource intense). In the game you can check the FPS rate in the upper right corner by pressing Backspace, for what it's worth, but I don't think any hardcore optimizations make much sense if you are stuck using such a processor.

the only thing is upgrade able is ram and ssd im planing on upgrade ram

Archived