QOL suggestion: make some followers follow though shards

First off, I want to say that I love your games, DST being my favorite. I also love the fact that you listen to you fans, the QOL changes are stunningly good, and thus, I would like to suggest something that has been bugging me since the Webber rework got released. I think that one of the changes in the next QOL update should be followers following you into the caves and out and when you log back in, this would be an amazing little change because we already have follow timers on most followers, but with the added log out, it seems like a waste of recourses, especially if you only have an hour or two to play at any given time. This wouldn’t effect Chester or Hutch because they are meant to stay at their respective locations. Also, followers that reproduce (ie: rock lobsters) would only be able to reproduce in their respective locations in order to preserve the game’s overall difficulty. To all of the developers at KLEI, I say thank you, for making the wonderful games you make. I hope you will consider these suggestion in the future. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I don't know if this is a change that is planned or already out and I'm a bit weary to check, but befriended spiders for Webber should exit and re-enter the game with him as well and I know some have already brought up this idea too.

I think the current way their handling it might be a compromise they have to make while beefalos can log out and follow you that's only one entity.

Whereas Normal followers could be 20+ separate entities your asking the game to keep track of moving their shards or storing them till a player might come back I don't know for sure but I imagine that'd put a massive burden on the server. 

12 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I think the current way their handling it might be a compromise they have to make while beefalos can log out and follow you that's only one entity.

Whereas Normal followers could be 20+ separate entities your asking the game to keep track of moving their shards or storing them till a player might come back I don't know for sure but I imagine that'd put a massive burden on the server. 

The server is already keeping track of thousands of things at once. A single chest can have 9 items, and each of those items can have all sorts of information about it (durability, freshness, stack size). I'm not an expert of how the game works (I was under the assumption that Hutch was added because moving non-players between shards wasn't possible, but then they added Walter & the beefalo bell) but I can't imagine allowing players who already can have 32 items in their inventory plus all the other information about them (position, health, hunger, sanity, temperature, wetness, character specific status like beard and Abigail information) log off with some spiders would be very demanding.

Also, whether you log off with the spiders or not, the server still has to remember those spiders are there. It's not like logging off kills the spiders, they just start wandering around or sleeping or something.

Archived