Duplicants` Intelligence

Dear Klei,

would you be so kind to improve subject in game, please? It`s ok that dupes often want to kill themselves by their stupid moves, however, they can show me an ultimate level of stupidity sometimes. For example:

1. Dupe in rocket cabin affected by food poison, atmo suit laying on the floor, rocket just landed. I`m manually assign atmo suit to that dupe to protect him from harm during his travel back from rocket through space biome. Dupe ignoring command to wear atmo suit and was trying to reach storage with curative tablet deep inside base. I had stopped him by manual command "move to" location and he had ignored wearing atmo suite again and again was trying to go to curative tablet storage. After 5-6 attempts I gave up. At the end he went long way to that cursed storage and after goes long-long way back to rocket cabin just to wear his atmo suit.Sigh.

2. Dupe got trapped herself and require some external emergency help. Poor Marie needs materials for just one tile of the ladder to be safe. Brave Stinky will bring that materials... or just drop them one tile from target because of the shift end. Life of the Marie is in the danger, so I`m activating Red Alert and Yellow Alert priority to that important ladder. Stinky showing me his middle finger, take some ice and trying to go back to base. I had stopped him by manual command "move to" location, Stinky ignoring all priority tasks and taken another piece of ice. Suddenly, I figured out that there is reachable for Marie material which can be used to build that ladder by herself. I am canceling old ladder, and ordering to create another one with available to Marie material and ordering to dig tile with that materials. Marie successfully had dug that materials and taken them, but with full disobey of the yellow priority task applied materials to nearest acceptable floor tile... And why? Because that task with ladder build was assigned to some another dupe deep inside dupes base... And nothing you can do even by manual interference. Sigh.

This little things is not so important, I know, but sometimes I feeling pain in the ass due to such stuff.

edit: some language mistakes corrected... shame! shame! (bell tolls).

And, because I don`t want to create separate topic: is there possible to fix annoying bug of some permanent overlay in UI (please, check attached picture). Appeared today after update.

UI_bug.jpg

Its well known for long time that dupes are not the smartest for a load of reasons. 

There have been little improvements for a while that i have seen its kinda challenge to mitigate stupidity by forcing dupes to stay in an area till all tasks are done there so they dont run around the colony to do a  dig on the other side just to come back to were they were and do a dig there, and endless repeat.

For the rocket / atmosuit in the big rockets just add a checkpoint inside the rocket, it can be rather tough to make them wear suits otherwise.

58 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

For the rocket / atmosuit in the big rockets just add a checkpoint inside the rocket, it can be rather tough to make them wear suits otherwise.

I`ve tried and more annoying issue appears with it. If it will be only checkpoint without docks - dupes will drop suits on the floor and will not automatically wear them when wanted to exit the cabin. So, if it were some supply tasks with few dupes involved inside the rocket cabin and you will forgot to manually click each suit and assign to each dupe - they will be "trapped" inside.

So, really working solution is to add checkpoint+atmodock. In this case next problems:

1. Wasted extra space in the cabin by checkpoint+dock.

2. Supplying time extended due to only one dupe entrance permit.

3. More extra space in the cabin wasted if adding more docks to solve issue n.2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure about intelligence, but priorities could have been done much better, examples:

1. I marked an item for sweep, set priority to '!!', nobody is picking it up until I set the storage to '!!' and even in this case dupes will pick closest items before '!!' marked one.

2. Similar issue with wrangle orders, if wrangle priority is 9 but drop off is at 1, critter will just free itself despite me wanting the critter out now. So if I have multiple drop offs, I have to chose one manually and raise priority.

3. Attack priority is always 5, dupes are fine grooming critters that are marked for execution as long as grooming station has priority >5

4. Sometimes when there is food inworld and I want to collect it asap I can't set a single storage to '!!', I have to set all food storages to maximum priority otherwise dupes will move items from other storages. Whole storage system is inflexible.

5. Very often dupes steal jobs from auto-sweepers. I have no idea why dupes think it's a nice idea to move food from fridge to cooking station when there is sweeper perfectly capable of doing the same.

19 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

1. I marked an item for sweep, set priority to '!!', nobody is picking it up until I set the storage to '!!' and even in this case dupes will pick closest items before '!!' marked one.

The issue with !! is that the first dupe to finish his task will go do the !! task while the rest will ignore it. Often it`s the dupe on the other side of the map. !! should alow dupes to "steal" the job if they are closer.

3. Attack priority is always 5, dupes are fine grooming critters that are marked for execution as long as grooming station has priority >5

Combat can be set to very high in personal priorities. Since you only use it for killing critters having it on max for all dupes won`t hurt.

4. Sometimes when there is food inworld and I want to collect it asap I can't set a single storage to '!!', I have to set all food storages to maximum priority otherwise dupes will move items from other storages. Whole storage system is inflexible.

I always set food storage to 7 and dupes collect it right away. No need to set it higher most of the time. You can also mark a specific food item for sweeping with a higher priority.

5. Very often dupes steal jobs from auto-sweepers. I have no idea why dupes think it's a nice idea to move food from fridge to cooking station when there is sweeper perfectly capable of doing the same.

I think it`s the same issue as in 1. Dupes just take the job when they are done with the last task. Usually you can set the stuff to sweep below priority 5 but that won`t work for the cooking station. I guess he auto sweeper should be able to steal jobs from dupes like researchers sometimes do.

18 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

The issue with !! is that the first dupe to finish his task will go do the !! task while the rest will ignore it. Often it`s the dupe on the other side of the map. !! should alow dupes to "steal" the job if they are closer.

In that particular case I dropped 20t of -40C igneous rock and wanted it delivered to the farm for cooling purposes. There was no need to 'steal' job.

Just tested it out in a room with lots of items to sweep, gave a sweep 9 command to everything in a room, made sure there is a priority nine, sweep only storage, then raised priority for copper that was in the further corner to !!. Unpaused. Result: dupes cleaned up everything closest to the left door first (one closest to storage). They even picked up sand that was in the door to the right, but not !! copper.

image.thumb.png.4b30cf5a5d7e17a90f4fcfbb9ce03964.png

I checked errand list and it all sweep errands were listed as 9, something clearly doesn't work right with the sweep command (or I have inaccurate expectations).

12 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

I checked errand list and it all sweep errands were listed as 9, something clearly doesn't work right with the sweep command (or I have inaccurate expectations).

Interesting. Maybe the !! is coded as 9 but with the added perk of the alert so that dupes ignore the schedule. I actually never overloaded on prio 9 errands so i never had that issue.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:28 PM, Sasza22 said:

Interesting. Maybe the !! is coded as 9 but with the added perk of the alert so that dupes ignore the schedule. I actually never overloaded on prio 9 errands so i never had that issue.

It appears to work based on storage priority, not on sweep priority.

Here is another example of priorities not working right, the single yellow alert priority should have been the first one, yet for some reason it is not the first one:

image.thumb.png.9671a263096ebcf684b5aac0a644eaf4.png

I was very surprised, this valve was built and set to 2500 over 5 cycles ago, for some reason errand was not done, I set it to yellow alert, yet nothing changed. I increased "toggling" priority and it fixed the issue (even without the alert). Obviously I should have set "toggling" to be higher in "Priorities" from the start, but I think most players would expect '!!' priority to be absolute "do now", not rely onto normal priorities.

Archived