Load saved game while the game is running crashes

This kind of crash depends on many things. Like how long you've been playing and how advanced the state of the save is. (A 50-ish cycle base will definitely load faster than a 3000+ cycle base, for example.)

In general it's better to re-launch the game and then load the save you need when this kind of things start to happen regardless.

3 hours ago, JRup said:

This kind of crash depends on many things. Like how long you've been playing and how advanced the state of the save is. (A 50-ish cycle base will definitely load faster than a 3000+ cycle base, for example.)

In general it's better to re-launch the game and then load the save you need when this kind of things start to happen regardless.

I'm on a 169 cycle , btw im on linux , i don't know if this change anything.

1 hour ago, Sebastiangperez said:

hmm, I would dare say that your play sessions are long enough to fill up the ram up to the point where loading another save is not viable/recommended. But then again you said it's only some minutes played...

I also play on linux (16GB ram), it has guaranteed me mostly smooth play sessions on a 5700+ cycle base. Current save file size is about 67 MB. At this point I can't attempt to load another save after loading a session (even without playing). If I want to load another save then I have to quit to desktop and re-launch the game.

I also have to relaunch the game if the memory starts to fill and the game begins to hit the swap file... (Unless I don't mind it eventually crashing... I should have made a reasonably sized swap partition, I know - but just installing everything on auto to get to the fun quicker is also a factor)

So, for now, the advice stands. Re-launching the game shouldn't be that bad anyhow (I hope) and should be faster as the game doesn't need to do any special memory management mumbo-jumbo as it would have to when un-loading any current session and attempting to load a different one.

These are some of my experiences and I hope they help.

19 minutes ago, JRup said:

hmm, I would dare say that your play sessions are long enough to fill up the ram up to the point where loading another save is not viable/recommended. But then again you said it's only some minutes played...

I also play on linux (16GB ram), it has guaranteed me mostly smooth play sessions on a 5700+ cycle base. Current save file size is about 67 MB. At this point I can't attempt to load another save after loading a session (even without playing). If I want to load another save then I have to quit to desktop and re-launch the game.

I also have to relaunch the game if the memory starts to fill and the game begins to hit the swap file... (Unless I don't mind it eventually crashing... I should have made a reasonably sized swap partition, I know - but just installing everything on auto to get to the fun quicker is also a factor)

So, for now, the advice stands. Re-launching the game shouldn't be that bad anyhow (I hope) and should be faster as the game doesn't need to do any special memory management mumbo-jumbo as it would have to when un-loading any current session and attempting to load a different one.

These are some of my experiences and I hope they help.

Ok, the next time i will do this. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Sebastiangperez said:

I also have some troubles on linux with loading games. it seems to always work fine for the first game loaded after starting ONI, but loading another after that causes strange graphical glitches. I just restart the game when i want to reload, for now.

It hasn't annoyed me enough yet to file a proper bug report about it... but it seems something is definitely different between the first time a game is loaded and subsequent times.

In the latest patch (testing branch) I was surprised to find that loading games is working 100% fine. I was surprised because previously I'd expected a 50% chance the game would just crash, and if it didn't crash it would take an extremely long time.

Okay it's not 100% fine, there is still a glitch that sometimes happens where parts of the map flicker especially after changing asteroids. But other than that glitch the game loads just as quickly as after starting the game fresh, and hasn't crashed.

Also on Linux.

7 hours ago, Yobbo said:

I also have some troubles on linux with loading games. it seems to always work fine for the first game loaded after starting ONI, but loading another after that causes strange graphical glitches. I just restart the game when i want to reload, for now.

It hasn't annoyed me enough yet to file a proper bug report about it... but it seems something is definitely different between the first time a game is loaded and subsequent times.

Do you have the blinking artifacts after loading ? i mean , the second asteroid started to blink?

2 hours ago, Sebastiangperez said:

Do you have the blinking artifacts after loading ? i mean , the second asteroid started to blink?

Yeah, it varies but generally any game i load beyond the first one per play session has weird flickering/blinking somewhere. I just restart the game for now. I have it chalked up to "weird early access bugs". I imagine it should get addressed at some point but as there's a fairly easy workaround it's probably not too high on the priority list.

I haven't noticed it crashing, but then i don't actually reload very often while playing. I also do have quite a lot of RAM.

Archived