Insulative materials for insulated tiles

Insulated tiles right now are just like regular tiles but take a bit more resources and time to build but are somehow much better at insulation? They don't require special materials that have very high thermal resistance aside from something like ceramic or insulation, which is a missed opportunity. If you needed specific materials to build insulated tiles that would be amazing and could change approach to challenges drastically. Ceramic and insulation are existing candidates for such tiles, but we could have more like Cellulose and Fibre Glass. Would also be nice to not have additional artificial insulation properties for the tiles and them just using the insulation properties of the materials they are made out of.

I wished we had refined minerals for insulation purposes like we got refined metals for advanced power suystems. Early refined minerals would be like crushed rock that wouldn`t be too good at insulation but cheap to produce and better than making a regular wall/pipe. Ceramic could remain a raw mineral but the kiln should produce bricks instead whch would have similar properties. Then we could process plastic into foam or fiberglass composite for better insulation and eventually produce aerogel in the molecular forge.

4 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Don't forget abyssalite, which is currently useless.

Abyssalite always seemed like a quick and cheap way of making biomes insulated from one another on world generation which is a bit boring. There is one way I can think of that this could be worked around, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, might make a separate topic about it. Magma biome in particular would still be problematic in quickly spreading heat unless you had huge difference in height between it and something like an oil biome so as to stop everything turning to sour gas. If we didn't need it to isolate so many biomes we could have it be a resource that is found later on as opposed to being completely useless until you are able to refine insulation.

Archived