I know some people might hate this, but being more engaged with food preservation system is great, even though the fridge needs to be buffed as there is no reason to really power that building right now. One piece of good quality food that bypasses the whole preservation system is berry sludge and I'm starting to see others and thinking myself of using this as the only source of food because of that factor. If the fridge was buffed, but the sludge rotted, the food item would still be good to have as it is of good quality. If its rotting time was significantly slower than other foods then it might still be worth considering for space missions and as a better alternative than barbeque.

There are other food items that have very slow decay rates such as pickled meal lice and grubfruit preserve, where the latter offers a similarly good morale bonus as berry sludge. This is the only thing differentiating berry sludge from other food sources, and it requires a plant that is quite annoying to farm.

Slowing and even halting food decay completely is much more trivial than all the recent drama has demonstrated - a simple thermo regulator on top of an insulated co2 pit will give you 0% decay rate for a fraction of the operating cost of a fridge. The only reason why i would bother producing berry sludge is for space travel, but i would still use other food like barbecue or gas range food for late game purposes.

Tbh, why is it wrong to have a food item that is better for space travel than others? We make dehydrated food for our own astronauts. If there has to be a change, i would prefer slightly lowering berry sludge morale bonus but keep it as a non spoiling food. Morale on rockets is already hard to keep at a high value, I find myself using the skill scrubber more than I ever have before. Even with washroom, bedroom, great hall and current berry sludge morale bonus, its a close call for some duplicants that need many skills points. I personally think the berry sludge is fine the way it is.

Archived