Beefalo Issues?

Hello!

I have a couple issues which I wanted to pick your brains!

My world was day 37 and I was about to take a break and disconnect from my world. When I disconnected I was still riding my beefalo and was not in heat, when I reconnected 1 minute later my beefalo was in heat and aggressive towards me. This server is a "singleplayer" server aka local 1 player. The only thing I changed was when connecting back to my server I put on the Beefalo Widget MOD to see how far a long he was to being fully domesticated. Does adding a mod halfway through trigger beefalo to be in heat or reset the beefalo? The beefalo was bonded at all times. from day 6, I accidentally hit my beefalo which is why I'm still in the taming process, during the whole winter period my beefalo was not in heat either.

The last issue/nuisance is when fighting a boss I use a salt lick but my beefalo does not attach to the salt lick. Does the beefalo have to stick to the salt lick to make sure it doesn't lose domestication or does it just have to be in a 5 tile radius? Not only that but do beefalos shake off the saddle if they are hitched to a grooming station? 

Thanks for reading what I came across in my world :) 

any advice on how to prevent these issues please let me know :) 

Shalkre

The beefalo behavior has quite a few bugs and oddities that only happen with a bond.

If you are alone in your own server, I recommend to not bond the beefalo after you park it in a safe area. Once it's fully domesticated then you can use the bell safely.

27 minutes ago, rainman895 said:

I'm pretty sure all beefalos are in heat during spring but they won't attack a player that is riding them but by disconnecting you technically dismounted your beef and because of that it attacked you

It's so strange because after crafting a beefalo hat and then saddling him again he reverted back to normal, normal being not in heat. so very very strange.

1 hour ago, SHALKRE said:

It's so strange because after crafting a beefalo hat and then saddling him again he reverted back to normal, normal being not in heat. so very very strange.

As @Well-met said the bell works in a very buggy way. I had beefalos that were still not fully domesticated, in spring heat and they:

• Stopped being in heat once I unbonded and re-bonded (this happened randomly, I'm not sure what combination of things triggers it) 
  • Stopped being in heat when their training tendency changed from rider to ornery
  • Continued in heat even upon reaching 100% domestication (it is fixed by unmounting and re-mounting a few times, and feeding it, to pop the "tamed" effect
  • Got briefly in heat even when it was with a bell and outside of spring. It popped a baby too.

I put on the Beefalo Widget MOD to see how far a long he was to being fully domesticated. Does adding a mod halfway through trigger beefalo to be in heat or reset the beefalo?

No. I have used that mod extensively, it just reads beeefalo stats. It's very convenient.

Does the beefalo have to stick to the salt lick to make sure it doesn't lose domestication or does it just have to be in a 5 tile radius?

So long as the beefalo has access to the salt lick it won't drop domestication, I just drop the bell next to the salt licks and forget about it for a few days.
It's also useful to make a safe salt lick pen in the caves (away from bunnymen or any kind of spider dens) and after dropping the bell next to the salt lick, feed it a raw moon shroom and let it sleep. So long as nothing wakes it up and the server is not restarted, the beefalo seems to just stay asleep, not consume salt lick and not drop domestication either.
But in case something happens its always good that it has a salt lick near it anyway.

2 hours ago, SHALKRE said:

do beefalos shake off the saddle if they are hitched to a grooming station? 

If they are not fully domesticated, yes. If they are fully domesticated no, as long as they don't drop domestication.

If your beefalo is not fully domesticated, it is intended to and will go into heat in spring

Day 37 is spring. It should’ve gone into heat day 36 as soon as spring started but I mean, it’s just a day late.

The bell issues won’t ever cause beefalo heat only remove it and not for spring seasonal heat which is a separate thing and I’m planning to explain everything in a separate thread at some point.

Archived