Hello !

A fun disposition in a cold biome (iron volcano up, cool slush geyser at the bottom)

image.thumb.png.d777c0ceed7c505e8891478e6cad3042.png

Since there is little space near the iron volcano to set up a cooling system (like this one ) I thought I may simply dump drops of molten iron into a pool of polluted water (a trash chute? :) ). And, if need be, create a circuit cooling the polluted water, or just use the (warmer, slightly warm, hot ?) water in the base.

Here comes my limit, how to roughly estimate the cooling power of a material?

List of my knowledge so far: (it's short !!)

• a passive coolong steam turbine will give 292 kDTU/s
  • iron volcano max 400g/s at 2526°C with a SHC of 0.449
  • liquid iron specific heat capacity (SHC) is 0.449 DTU/g/°C
  • slush geyser will give a minimum of 1 kg/s of -10°C polluted water (pH2O)
  • pH2O specific heat capacity (SHC) is 4.179 DTU/g/°C

Surely there is a way to estimate the change in temp of pH2O when hit with liquid iron :)

have you tried the cooling calculator? there's also a geyser calculator and how much cooling you need for average or only during the active part per cycle

https://oni-assistant.com/tools/coolingcalculator

but check the amount it erupts cause 400g/s = 240kg vs actual eruption at around 400-600kg an active cycle.  you could just overkill it and keep a pool of icey water above it and pressurize the volcano with hydrogen and conveyor rail the iron out passing under metal tiles

thanks for the link, @zach123b

i have not thought of cooling the volcano chamber :confused:

i was going for a vaccumed aera around the volcano...

anyway, as I said, there is but little room around the iron volcano, to the left is neutronium (map border) and above is an uranium patch (best left intact for later).

And thanks to the calculator, here's the formula I was looking for :

masse of stuff to be cooled x SHC x (temperatures differences) / duration of cooling 

g    x    DTU/g/°C x °C / sec

400  x  4.179    x    2400  / 1

image.thumb.png.311640c58de534dfc9b7fe79b84b380c.png

Well, well that is indeed massive... 4013 kDTU/sec.

But an ATST (steam engine with AT) and 1000°C steam is said o handle 6800 kDTU/s (source fradow).

As for dumping liquid iron into -10 °C polluted water.... I'll need 10 cool slush geyser :black_eyed:

image.thumb.png.1f12bc692ee9f3c9356b19f461536468.png

;tltr iron <=> 334 wheezworts >>> slush geyser.. 33

image.png

i think you did it wrong, 2526c water to 125c water would take 10 slush geysers but youre dealing with iron which has about almost 1/10 the shc but keep in mind the volcano spits out higher, the 400g/s is average over time including over the dormancy

Screenshot_20210614-123245_Brave.thumb.jpg.699686326951a2c9393a871c69d13e73.jpg

Yes, I did not reveal nor analysed the iron volcano, so I do not know the specific output and cycles. But if 400 g/s is the max per eruption period, it's fine with me, as I intend to shut off the cooling during dormant phase anyway.

And there was a mixed up with images (for some reason the last one refuse to go away, and the first is about water not iron, my bad).

So, if I want a target temperature to handle iron with conveyor, i'll aim at 125 °C (easier than the very low 25°C you choose @zach123b but I have indeed to figure out a second cooling of iron from 125 to room temp)

Iron 240 kg/cycle (during non dormancy) 2526 °C ---> 125 °C ==> 35.9 wheezworts <=> 431  kDTU/s much better indeed !! :):):)

240 000g x 0,449 shc x (2799.15K - 398.15K) / 600 seconds

polluted water 600 kg/cycle (during non dormancy) -10 °C ---> 100 °C ==> 33.4 wheezworts <=> 401  kDTU/s nearly there ;)

600 000g x 4.179 shc x (263K - 359K) / 600 seconds

Some news about cooling metal volcano, the Brothgar set up seems strong and working :

First cycles of volcano

First 3 cycles of a volcano awaking.. (note: error in insulated tiles near the thermo sensor => rebuilt in metal of course)

Due to the distance I went for a normal wire (1000W) connexion:

steam engine ---- normal wire ---- transformer >-> ====== heavy wire ==== main generators room

It seems to be working, but not something I've seen very often, so may be I'm missing something...

But the main worry is that despite liquid iron cooling from 2500 °C to 1370°C (solid) it then remains at 1370°C.

image.thumb.png.240203b74aefdcff0dd93efe2005c2d7.png

the metal tile around did go up to 300-400°C, steam turbine ran, cool down every one ... not the solid iron.

Still 1370°C.

This set up is not design with a gas (vaccum is recomanded), since the door open and close, I cannot see a thin layer of liquid on it to help conduct the heat... so I'm a bit at a loss there.

You need to drop the metal into a fluid of some sort (be it gas or liquid), or it won't conduct heat away from itself.

Personally I like to use a downward door pump into a hydrogen chamber.

OK then, I'll try Brothgar set up, and it's not as magical as I thought (or I'm missing something) and revert to the original idea.

Eruption => liquid iron => leak to the side => get cooled to solid iron => drop all the way down to - 11 °C polluted water from a geyser :)

EDIT: STOP THE PRESSES !!

image.png.e747697bd9ec85c989b744d00aa1e0df.png

I just have a crash, - a first in 550 cycles - but it's a good thing because, at restart

* i did not loose much (half a cycle)

* solid iron start dropping like a ... bird dropping and is actively cooling !! :wilson_celebrate: 

Spoiler

Weeeee, for a second I lost faith in Holy Brothgar ! this was a bug... or the iron cooling is NOW the bug ??

Archived