A scheduling QOL improvement

I want to make a new schedule, which will copy the default schedule I guess, and shift it earlier or later by a few hours. I would imagine that this is probably an enormously common reason why someone would make a new schedule.

So how about an "earlier" and "later" button, or some such, that would achieve this with one click?

6 hours ago, brucemo said:

I want to make a new schedule, which will copy the default schedule I guess, and shift it earlier or later by a few hours. I would imagine that this is probably an enormously common reason why someone would make a new schedule.

So how about an "earlier" and "later" button, or some such, that would achieve this with one click?

I feel like it would be easy enough to have a duplicate schedule button, not as easy to shift it but probably not impossible.

This seems like a fundamentally superfluous feature. Scheduling is already super easy to set up, and there's really never a reason to change anything once you set up your initial three schedules. I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

3 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

This seems like a fundamentally superfluous feature. Scheduling is already super easy to set up, and there's really never a reason to change anything once you set up your initial three schedules. I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

twice? I would probably do it at minimum 8 times :p

44 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

Why? There's a finite number of ways to fully cover a 24-block schedule. Three schedules with offset break periods is ideal. This can easily be set up early without any need for further fiddling.

I usually have 8 schedules with 2 dupes on each schedule. Its not a big deal its just a QOL thing he's asking for which would mostly involve minimal implementation.

8 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

Having to click less is the whole point of this request.

9 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

I'd much rather see attention paid to existing bugs & balance issues long before a button that will be clicked twice in an entire playthrough.

You sound like bug fixing, overall game balance and game performance fixes were as easy as adding a button that makes a shift. If that was the case I would be outraged that there are still bugs, but the reality is that what you request is not one-hour task to complete.

14 hours ago, pether said:

You sound like bug fixing, overall game balance and game performance fixes were as easy as adding a button that makes a shift. If that was the case I would be outraged that there are still bugs, but the reality is that what you request is not one-hour task to complete.

Probably not, as anyone with experience in software design could tell you. The point is that this "feature" is completely unnecessary and will no doubt still require manual attention to work properly. Do you designate a shift and then the game creates a new shift for you that is a copy but offset? Does the button decide for itself which shift to base itself off? What happens if you have a set of shifts that add up to more than 24 blocks? What happens if you assign a shift that has no work blocks? What happens if you add custom blocks via mods? What happens if you add scheduling presets via mods? Does this button work across planetoids & rockets?

There's so many questions that come from this idea and that's not even an exhaustive list. But the ultimate question is "Is this a useful feature most players will use as part of normal gameplay" and the answer is really "No".

The point is that this "feature" is completely unnecessary

It's clearly labeled as a QOL suggestion. Are you being deliberately disingenuous by calling it "unnecessary"?

But the ultimate question is "Is this a useful feature most players will use as part of normal gameplay" and the answer is really "No".

Several people have agreed that they would like this addition. Arguing that somebody's suggestion is worthless because it doesn't happen to be useful to you is neither polite, nor constructive.

On 6/13/2021 at 1:43 AM, JaxckLl said:

Why? There's a finite number of ways to fully cover a 24-block schedule. Three schedules with offset break periods is ideal. This can easily be set up early without any need for further fiddling.

24 blocks means 12 schedules. Or do only psychopaths make 12 shifts with 1 dupe per shift?

No, this is not an enormous thing. But it's also something would be a minor improvement, and would likely involve trivial time expenditure on the part of a dev, wouldn't require documentation, would lead to zero bugs, and wouldn't clutter up the UI.

I think that people would be more likely to use the schedule feature if this was part of it.

Archived