Working on a new colony, and was presented with this from the Printer Pod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2509724233

It's currently cycle 12, and I have 4 existing Dupes.  I still need a Chef, so the Nisbet is an option.  Not a great option, given she has Allergies, but...  I've never seen Ranching roll a +15 before, which would be phenomenal.  Even this early with Anemic and Undigging, it's difficult to pass up a high level Rancher.  But I would still need a Chef to work the Grill for the Eggs and/or Meat that would result.

I'm very tempted to take Nails here, but I don't know if that's gonna be a good choice.  I'll need at least another 3 cycles for the chance at getting a Chef, and I may never see that good of a Rancher ever again (never have before, playing the game on and off since Early Access).

IMO take the super-rancher and make them cook. She should be okay with a couple points skilled into it, and chefs shouldn't have to move much anyway if you keep your ingredients near your kitchen. She can train on a hamster wheel in her spare time.

That said if you saved your game and took a break to ask this question... it will sadly all be irrelevant when you load back in :?

The only ranchers you should ever use are ranching single interest ranchers, so yes you should take the rancher. Anemic and undigging are fine on a rancher, they don't need to move or dig much. Most anyone can be a chef, it only takes a single skill point and don't benefit in a meaningful way from any traits.

Remember that with the exception of ranchers, interests are a boost to morale if you take the skills they are interested in, but not all skills are worth taking, and not all interests apply to the max of 3 skills. The general rule is that skills that don't unlock anything and only give attributes are bad, except ranching. Interests that only apply to a single good skill are also bad. Cooking interest for example applies to two skills, but only one unlocks something, so it's effectively a single skill interest. Good general interests are supplying, digging, and later on, researching. 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:29 PM, Hjoyn said:

Most anyone can be a chef, it only takes a single skill point and don't benefit in a meaningful way from any traits.

Well technically you can save a bit of power on the grill, and some natgas for the gas range, but well if you are advanced enough to use the gas range, I don't think the reduction really matters in most cases.

3 hours ago, he77789 said:

Well technically you can save a bit of power on the grill, and some natgas for the gas range, but well if you are advanced enough to use the gas range, I don't think the reduction really matters in most cases.

It would also translate into raw calorie throughput.  Less time making each individual meal means more meals made overall.  A higher Cuisine skill, like Researching, it very valuable.

22 hours ago, he77789 said:

The only attributes from skills or interests that are worth anything are ranching and highly situationally, science. Everything else is easily trained and thus worthless. 

Archived