Solid sour gas boiler

Again I'm trying to make best sour gas boiler ever, and think it is [again].

main.thumb.jpg.1922e96e1e3f3cc6cbc607dd40f90dcc.jpg

Here two schema, compact and almost compact. Left is better.

Finally I decide to use water tank with coolant, and now I have stable cool supercoolant. Water heater work 100% of time, and crude oil (on bottom) always 85C. If supercoolant become too cold (colder then -230 in first schema and - 245 in second), doors closed, and temperature going to -230 (or -245), and AT work 100% of time, and it is equal to 2.3 kg evapourization of cruder oil per second (liquid shutoff shows it work 23%, so, 2.3 kg).

If input pipe is empty, aquatuners not work. Liquid shutoff is open if amount of liquid in AT chamber less then 1 kg. 

Aquatuner make same amount of heat as chill, so steam turbine + 2AT will produce more chill then heat, and it mean sour gas amount will never grow. In same time, heater device make AT work 100 of time, so, sour gas will be always present in chamber.

Don't know if it make sense, but I remove air from steam turbine chamber, and put there naphta (a lot, but in left bottom tile vacuum), which is chilled by main supercoolant, which is flow through normal pipe (not radiant, not insulated). Liquid shutoff for steam turbine better put on left side.

Standard natural gas-sour gas counter flow. Insulated tiles on top to make chilling chamber cold. Radiant pipes should be max far away, so, most coldest supercoolant should be in far right corner. 

Better make conveyour rails as a loop, but once I suffer some kind of bug, when solid methane (mcgrams) in conveyor rail stop to exchange temperature, and all conveyor line "stuck". So, it make sense to add conveyor rail shutoff with some kind of timer sensor 2sec green 200 sec red, just in case.

You may see door with air pressure sensor, it is just for test purpose. I put "void" behind door, to simulate gas flow. Gas pumps should be there.

Liquid pump on top work only on startup, and in case if you accidently drop couple tonns of crude oil in AT chamber.

Boiler can be stopped, for maintenance if you will drop more petroleum inside (almost all sour gas would be deleted).

Spoiler

auto.thumb.jpg.d78e5218ead7e91dcd4f523f7808a0af.jpg

pipes.thumb.jpg.668cc689cb3ef64da2052bd0f959fc32.jpg

5 hours ago, degr said:

Again I'm trying to make best sour gas boiler ever, and think it is [again].

I think you need to define what you mean by "best".  It's certainly not the most efficient, or high throughput.  Scores pretty well on compact though.

Also, what are you doing with the sulfur? it appears to just collect in the machine.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

I think you need to define what you mean by "best"

I always change my definitions of the best, that's why I build new versions.

Previously it was most l largest output, like 10-12 kg per sec. Which have couple subversions - like monstrous machine, something like that - 

but more simple, because I'm not very smart. Then modular, like one large trunk with list of branches.

Then, simplicity, like that - 

And now I think it is best one, because of all benefits I write in OP post. Also, I can't agree it is not efficient, you just can't make more heat from 2 AT. 1 AT give enough heat to process ~1.1 kg of oil per second (if oil 50-80C).

>Also, what are you doing with the sulfur?

I need more to build dragon den, and lure dragon. 

And also do not use any exploits or cheats, like teleportation, diagonal access with robo arms, infinite doors storage and so on. However, door gas pump is not a cheat from my opinion, but I'm trying to not use it also.

1 hour ago, degr said:

Also, I can't agree it is not efficient, you just can't make more heat from 2 AT. 1 AT give enough heat to process ~1.1 kg of oil per second (if oil 50-80C).

Ah. Let me intoduce you to the magic of counter-current heat exchangers.

You can use the heat of the out going sour gas to pre heat the oil. Done effectively, you can get the oil arbitrary close to its evaporation point before it hits your aquatuner. 

Similarly you can use the cold natural gas to pre-chill the sour gas before it gets to your coolant coil.

Combined it makes it possible to convert 10kg/s or more with a single aquatuner.

I can't find a good example of a 1 AT 10kg/s build. But this one is doing 10kg/s with 2 ATs which is still 4 times the throughput for the same amount of electricity as your build.

So, I can't make good counter flow, but I use exploit "1kg liquid did not damage pipe", and make this guy. Actually, not sure it is exploit, because if liquid transform into gas inside of pipe, it should not cause damage, it should just sneeze.

There is nothing to explain, almost no automation (hydro sensor open liquid shutoff for next portion of crude oil. But it is true, I was able to process 10kg per sec oil with 2 AT. Unfortunately, there is still not enough chill, so I add one more AT, which is invisible on screen.

1497801919_(2).thumb.jpg.b0d9d0adf2d7eaf018918957b9d36679.jpg

I've actually been meaning to make a Mk5 of the Tower of Methane. There are several smaller adjustments I have ready as well as some very easy cuts to make it more compact, since it's actually fairly overbuilt. However, the one key thing I'm missing is a more compact and/or more efficient heat exchanger, something that is very difficult owing to the liquid-liquid-gas nature of the heat exchanger. Using 1kg packets could improve efficiency, but would more than double the size of the heat exchanger due to all the pipes. That said, my design's output of liquid methane and extremely high efficiency do themselves add more bulk, but as it's intended to be your only sour gas boiler, I deemed that a worthwhile tradeoff. As for the conveyors, there's a bug where the last packet from a loader transfers heat using the mass of all the packets combined, so that's something to consider. 

6 hours ago, Hjoyn said:

However, the one key thing I'm missing is a more compact and/or more efficient heat exchanger, something that is very difficult owing to the liquid-liquid-gas nature of the heat exchanger.

Bead pump heat exchangers like the one linked in the "OSHA Hater" linked above are probably the most efficient for their size.

6 hours ago, Hjoyn said:

As for the conveyors, there's a bug where the last packet from a loader transfers heat using the mass of all the packets combined, so that's something to consider. 

This was recently fixed in the DLC. I'm not sure about the base game.

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

It seems it still exists in base game (or it is a different bug...?)

I searched for a bug report concerning this in vanilla (i.e: non 20kg packets in shipping rail behave inconsistently regarding mass & temperature...)

As far as I could tell there is no such thing yet.

Regarding DLC: I only found the patch notes from 463874 & 463787 stating the issue was fixed. Again, I couldn't find a bug report concerning the exact issue.

My inability to find said reports might be related to my current need to actually go to sleep. I'm reluctant to admit defeat.

If a report for this is actually nonexistent then we might need one for vanilla's sake. If it does exist, then we'd need to argue about post necromancy.

Getting back to the conveyor rail issue, I've experienced great results with double shipping. First part consists in dumping collected materials on a weight plate, second consists in re-shipping (in timed intervals as there is not enough material from the get go) after the weight threshold is met (20.1kg) and finally "discarding" the last packet that leaves the rail. This last material is queued for shipping after step 2 is repeated.

I guess that a separate post specifically illustrating this is in order but the pillow is demanding a human sacrifice for the day. :apologetic:

1 hour ago, JRup said:

Again, I couldn't find a bug report concerning the exact issue.

Exact issue :rolleyes:

I know in base game it is a bit more tedious to achieve so... I haven't tried very hard to accomplice a similar "effect" easily.

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Exact issue :rolleyes:

That emoticon reminds me of a spiderman meme.

Also, I was on 1 track mode late last night, was expecting to find a bug report and forgot the PSA... :lol:

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I know in base game it is a bit more tedious to achieve so... I haven't tried very hard to accomplice a similar "effect" easily.

Double shipping comes to the rescue again. Off the top of my head you'd need to use an automatic dispenser... Love the large amount of design choices that instantly comes to mind on account of this game...

Archived