Unfortunately, I currently don't have the opportunity to play ONI, but this is a question that concerns me right now. Unfortunately, I have not found a suitable answer to this. My air production usually has the air pumps directly above or below them.

With my current colony, I have planned poorly. Now my Rust Deoxidizers are under my industrial park, unfortunately there is no space for the pumps. There would only be space again 12 fields above.

Is it possible to create such a negative pressure above that the Rust Deoxidizer doesn't complain about overpressure? How fast does air of 2kg move to a vacuum 12 fields away?

easy way is to use pumps to remove excess gasses and move them somewhere else. if you have no space above, maybe you can put them below? or you could enclose rust deoxidizers in a room and then put the pump in there.

another option to remove pressure would be door pump, but it takes even more space

It really depends on the details. I found that "open field" flow works well, but if you have major obstacles (in one case I has a glass-floor Great Hall in between because I was experimenting with decor-blast), you may need more distributed Oxygen producers. Gas flow in ONI is decidedly not like gas flow in standard Physics. I think it is not "flow"-based at all, but rather "exchange with neighbor cell", which makes pressure do far less.

7 hours ago, Tzunki said:

How fast does air of 2kg move to a vacuum 12 fields away?

Each tick (5x per second) 10% of the difference between two adjacent gas tiles of the same element will move into the smaller tile.

At steady state a single line of gas tiles with a constant 2kg on one end and vacuum on the other will have a linear decrease in volume between them.  So each tile will have 2kg / 12 = 167g more than the next one.  This means that you will have a constant flow of 16.7 g/tick or 16.7g/tick * 5 tick/s = 83g/s through single column of tiles.  If your flow path is more than one tile wide it will have a multiplicative effect.  E.g. a 10 tile wide corridor with a constant 2kg on one end and vacuum on the other will have a net flow of 833g/s.

This is will be almost perfectly accurate if the gas is moving vertically.  If you have a horizontal corridor you also have to worry about the random swapping of horizontally adjacent gas tiles, but it still should be pretty close.

This is also in a pure gas environment.  Mixed gasses will change the dynamics somewhat.  Mostly they will slow things down since the secondary gas will act as an obstacle to flow.

In short, pressure based gas flow sucks, without huge gradients or very wide flow paths.

Archived