Rock platforms are weak-sauce

So I landed my first rocket on the water planetoid since the platforms have become solid ground aaaaand, it broke. I was using a petroleum rocket so I placed it 38 tiles down from the ceiling leaving 1 tile of room at the top of the map. That put the platform into the water up to the top of the deck. The platform quickly started taking pressure damage with only about 100 kg of water in the tile above it. Being made of iron I would expect it to be a lot stronger than that. I dug some tiles out to lower the water level but it still broke with the level like it is in the screenshot.

Is that intended behavior or has the firmness of the platform not been considered yet?

I haven't tried yet, but can a rocket land on a broken platform?

image.png.0dfa740d8f31e8b9a0863b5063cc30f8.png

1 hour ago, hipifreq said:

So I landed my first rocket on the water planetoid since the platforms have become solid ground aaaaand, it broke. I was using a petroleum rocket so I placed it 38 tiles down from the ceiling leaving 1 tile of room at the top of the map. That put the platform into the water up to the top of the deck. The platform quickly started taking pressure damage with only about 100 kg of water in the tile above it. Being made of iron I would expect it to be a lot stronger than that. I dug some tiles out to lower the water level but it still broke with the level like it is in the screenshot.

Is that intended behavior or has the firmness of the platform not been considered yet?

I haven't tried yet, but can a rocket land on a broken platform?

Seems like a bug to me or maybe just an oversight. Never had anything like this happen to me so far. If you posted the save maybe other people could check or recreate the bug.

18 hours ago, hipifreq said:

The platform quickly started taking pressure damage with only about 100 kg of water in the tile above it.

I think the problem is not above but below. Sometimes water acts weirdly and the pressure can rise below solid objects. I had that happen with a fish feeder (probably due to gulp fish). Possibly the heat from launching the rocket boiled some water below and it condesing back caused some pressure weirdness.

29 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I think the problem is not above but below. Sometimes water acts weirdly and the pressure can rise below solid objects. I had that happen with a fish feeder (probably due to gulp fish). Possibly the heat from launching the rocket boiled some water below and it condesing back caused some pressure weirdness.

exactly.

I have similar problems in the game with water pressure which is considered to be 999kg a tile breaking objects above it. You need to lower the level even more to make sure the water tiles just below the platform register less than (400kg?)

That is by the way one option to destroy POIs which otherwise you cannot deconstruct

Even if it isn't intended behavior and is changed in the future, an "easy" way to avoid pressure damage would be to have a line of gas below the platform (I haven't tried how that could be actually built but that is a way to shield from liquid pressure damage)

Archived