No mealwood in Oceania

Hi Everyone,

I started another game on Oceania Asteroid and completed research to start farming. I just realized that I don't have any Mealwood seed to put in my farm tiles. I started to dig buried objects everywhere, but it's second (or third) day that I find only Muckroots or Hatches, I'm worried that I won't find any. That's quite surprising to me, I checked wiki, Mealwood should appear on Temperate biome. Is it just a strike of bad luck or is the wiki wrong about that?

I attached my savegame file to if you want to check it. World seed is OCAN-A-1558802827-0 if you like to try the same asteroid

Regards,

mysmario

Immune Citadel.sav

I had the same issue on a Terra map non DLC and sadly forgot to save the seed number where i found zero seeds for like 15-20 cycles until the portal was kind enough to offer me a briar seed so I could have a great hall.. Eventually broke in a swamp biome and snatched some dusk fungal spores and started farming mushrooms.

Bottom line is that when the game is trolling hard, you just get creative and use whatever you can find around. Good luck! :)

3 hours ago, cezarica said:

Bottom line is that when the game is trolling hard, you just get creative and use whatever you can find around. Good luck! :)

It is actually part of the appeal. It is very rare that you cannot make it, but there may be surprises. For the case at hand, each hatch gives you 3200kcal.

Also, I don't think Ocanea has Mealwood and that is by design.

I've felt like when my colony is super low on food (like literally starving) i'll almost always get a muckroot when digging out a buried object. Maybe it actually modifies the chances based on food availability?

Or... maybe i'm just imagining it. Randomness is pretty random after all.

That said you can always dig up an actual mealwood plant and start farming it for seeds. If you have a skilled farmer there's a decent chance of seeds each harvest. I usually start with a skilled farmer for just this reason.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, cezarica said:

I just checked the wiki and says mealwood is present, so guess RNGJesus is trolling him. :)

Hmm. I generated an Oceanea and it did not have any visible Mealwood either. That is not an absolute test and I only looked at the starting biome, but still.

4 hours ago, mysmario said:

Yep, I rushed for mushrooms, by 26th day I had a first harvest. My dupes survived on meat, mud and fried mud. That was a challenge :)

I have done that several times. The first time it definitely was a challenge for me as well. Good to know you made it.

Archived