Any way to automate a rocket's crew? ie. switch between All/Crew stance

Hi

I've been prowling around the forum for a bit, sucking in all the information I can, I only started playing the game about a month ago, but I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics by now.

I have a rocket setup to deliver water from the 3rd planet.  I don't want the rocket flying all the time, so setup a slow intake for the fuel.

I don't want my pilot living in the nosecone all that time, so as the title says, is there any way to automate changing a rocket's crew stance, between all and just crew, so the pilot can get a good nights sleep in my base?

I'm happy to use mods, I don't really like exploits that are a limitation of the game engine, like the bead pumps or pumping tiny amounts so they don't phase change, but if it's my only option, then fine I guess.

Is there not even some out-of-the box way?  I've seen some imposible things achieved on this forum.

I can easily stop them from entering once they're out, but something is needed to force them out.

30 minutes ago, syngen said:

Is there not even some out-of-the box way?  I've seen some imposible things achieved on this forum.

I can easily stop them from entering once they're out, but something is needed to force them out.

Early on, I just set it to all and controlled access with sets of doors.   The only real reason I have now for excluding people from the capsule is to prevent them from using the outhouse.  I've thought about restricting that with a duplicant motion sensor and a door.  The door is open if there's a dupe anywhere in the capsule, closed otherwise.  Therefore dupes will be highly unlikely to try to do their business there, but no one in flight will be excluded.  Could also probably just use a timer sensor that closes for a second every 15 seconds to break the path there.

If it was set to allow all in, how did you incentivise the pilot to come in when it was time? Did you keep his asigned bed/dining table in there? Would that work? Comes in to sleep, and gets wooshed off into space.

It seems the only reason you want to change the crew/all switch is so the rocket with launch via automation? If so, there is a mod that adds automation to check to see if a rocket is present. That + a timer for loading, that + a pipe element sensor for unloading.

The reason for wanting to change the crew state is so my dupe isn't stuck in there all the time,  I've purposefully slowed down the loading of the ship, in a similar fashion to the water clock, so that they are only ready to go every 2 cycles.  If I set it to crew he never leaves, set to all, I'm not sure of a way to reliably get him back inside.

Just now, syngen said:

The reason for wanting to change the crew state is so my dupe isn't stuck in there all the time,  I've purposefully slowed down the loading of the ship, in a similar fashion to the water clock, so that they are only ready to go every 2 cycles.  If I set it to crew he never leaves, set to all, I'm not sure of a way to reliably get him back inside.

The dupe will automatically go to the rocket when you tell it to launch (They may have to finish other chores first). You don't have to force him inside first. The rocket will not launch without him.

Oh, Ok, I hadn't realised that, as theres no priorities on the rocket I assumed I had to have it set to 'crew' to get it to launch.  Well thats good to know.  I was busy hatching a plan to use hamster wheels, like the gym idea.  Lock off the wheel in the main base when its time for launch and open him up to the wheel in the nosecone.

4 minutes ago, syngen said:

Oh, Ok, I hadn't realised that, as theres no priorities on the rocket I assumed I had to have it set to 'crew' to get it to launch.  Well thats good to know.  I was busy hatching a plan to use hamster wheels, like the gym idea.  Lock off the wheel in the main base when its time for launch and open him up to the wheel in the nosecone.

I used automation by simply settings to "All". Setting the destination and also return trip trigger (so it shuffles between two until canceled). I used a delay (through filters) on the rocket platform to allow the pilot for more recreation time at the main base even after the rocket is fully loaded (also to make sure ample time is provided to load fresh food to the rocket fridge as it is out of automation currently). I do not learn any skills but pilot only for the pilot dedicated (this greatly improved his morale and let him also idle at the base when it is a day off) and set priorities for rocket/machinery control. No doors, permissions, etc are needed. Yes, the rocket toilet is being used occasionally by others but that is not a problem.

Now I do not need this at all as I simply use the interplanetary launchers for food teleportation to the resin tree (and iron/niobium from the asteroids to the main base). Ocean asteroid is great for food generation and no water needs to be transported.

Sweet.  Sounds the same as mine, you used a filter, where I used a flow restrictor.  Now I know I don't have to switch it to 'crew' to start the launch sequence I'm sorted.  Many thanks guys.

Next problem I seem to have come up against is, I can't seem to find the space scanner building anymore.  I planned on using it in conjunction with bunker doors at the top of my silo, to open when the rocket is returning.  I know theres no meteors at the moment, but I wanted to trap the heat of the launch to harness for power.

This is what I have so far, with bunker doors at the top.

launch silo.jpg

One thing I noticed with this setup, I don't know if this is just because it's sandbox or not, but I set the destination to one hex outside the planet and switched on loop.  When the ship launches, it comes back about 2 seconds later, and having used no fuel, but still let off all the heat during the launch.  I let it launch and return like this about 3 times, then stopped it as I thought something was wrong, the screenshot above is from 10ish cycles later on, and I'm still generating over 7000W from the heat without using any fuel!

Is this just because it's in sandbox, or have I got myself a rather large version of the dev coffee cup?

no space scanner in the DLC at this moment.

if you send a rocket one hex = to the asteroid orbit, it does not count as a space trip (many reported it as a bug, I see it as a nice feature you can use to fill up half empty CO2 rocket engine or generate some steam = water/electricity with steam rockets).

Devs know about it but will they fix it or let players use it indefinitely, I do not know.

and it was always in the vanilla game. You could send a hydrogen rocket to nearby planets and generate a lot of steam = water+electricity. Some players built a very long silo to magnify the effect (I saw some screen shots with silos going from bottom most oil biome). Devs have never fixed it so I guess it is a feature rather than a bug and you can use it to the full extend.

Sorry to come back to this, but I'm still having trouble with rocket automation.  Having the crew allowed set to 'all' doesn't give a command for my pilot to board.  I had a ship ready, everything ticked except pilot boarded, yet he was just idle in my base until I switched the rocket to 'crew only'.  The ship has no return set, as I'm delivering rovers, this is the only difference I see with your automation.

I'm playing on the spaced out DLC, don't know if that makes a difference...

Archived