How to remove sprites from Character Animation?

There are a few character animation templates available (which is very helpful) but how to we remove sprites from these files?

This one was recommended to me, but it has many sprites I don't need.  

I've been trying to figure this out, but so far nothing has worked.

Mostly I want a basic character, with hair and swap_face.
Hair_front would have been nice, but some of it's animations appear to be broken: 
 1107034541_InsanityIdle.gif.acb91517fd186d1c27f5723620acf2db.gif

@CarlZalph
I've tried that, but the anim file fails to generate.

This is the default lantern_overlay-0
image.png.c557fdf775c75419273d9e93b81d4f1d.png

And the transparent version I generated that causes the anim file not to generate.
image.png.290bd3f5348c9b4a89b60506c4ddd5a1.png

Admittedly it's unusual that the original transparent color appears black, while mine appears to be white, but both are transparent, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Update:
I'm testing a new method, and it seems to be working.

I'm replacing the sprites I want removed with this file:
image.png.09119a0968235adaa9d902bf5ce74fc8.png

Edited by FurryEskimo

he Custom Player Animation is not meant to make custom characters, just custom animations, that is why there are several unused images there
These images only show when you equip something
When making a custom animation, you will remove the "build" and "atlas" from animation.zip, since you only need the animation, not the textures

So, use Extended Sample Character Template to make your character
In this case, it is the opposite, you should remove "anim.bin" from you animation.zip

@FurryEskimo

Usually swap_face is used only when you equip something that is applied to the face
You should prefer to edit the face details on face and headbase images, since swap face is placed above these

BUT you can take the extended character sample and use the swap face
Remember, if you equip any skin or item that uses "swap_face", your character will be messy

Edited by Gleenus

@Gleenus

Ah..  Well that’s sort of a bummer..  So Swap_Face isn’t recommended, and Hair_Front is broken?  I was trying to give my character hair, and little ears that wiggle underneath.  I put the ears on the hair layer, and was trying to put the hair on a layer above that, but I’m not having much luck.
I suppose I could try putting the ears on the face layer, but idk if that will work.

Edited by FurryEskimo

3 minutes ago, FurryEskimo said:

@Gleenus

Ah..  Well that’s sort of a bummer..  So Swap_Face isn’t recommended, and Hair_Front is broken?  I was trying to give my character hair, and little ears that wiggle underneath.  I put the ears on the hair layer, and was trying to put the hair on a layer above that, but I’m not having much luck.
I suppose I could try putting the ears on the face layer, but idk if that will work.

Try using the pigtails, If I'm right they are placed behind the hair

And hairfront should be working in the Extended Character Sample
But if you make it in the Animation Sample, it could mess the zorder, since you overlap the game original animations (not sure, but I would avoid it)

As far as I am aware, swap_face is only used by vanilla character skins. No items override this symbol.

You can delete symbols from .scml by a combination of deleting the symbols from the animations and manually removing the references for the folder/files in a text editor.

However when you are ready to compile your custom character delete all the animations in the .scml this will save you a ton of time compiling and also your compiled .zip only needs the .build and .atlas.

Also delete the .anim from the .zip folder as its just a wasted asset loading.

• Like 1