Anyone have any strats for placing chests neatly without geometric placement?

On console the structure you are trying to place is horrendously attached to your character. Character covers up half the structure making it hard to see anything.

Does anyone have a way to fast forward nice chest placement? I tried walls but it doesn't make it any easier. Trying to follow the lines on carpet or tile flooring helps but its not always exact, still making me waste planks and tons of time. Would be nice if there was an option to keep your character still until you place the structure.  

No, random placement is not an option for me.

I think the closest thing you can do is hold a pitchfork in hand, and try to stand in the same place on the dotted line. I use the pitchfork whenever I'm building something, it's the poor man's geometric placement. Very poor nearly broke man, I could add.

33 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I think the closest thing you can do is hold a pitchfork in hand, and try to stand in the same place on the dotted line. I use the pitchfork whenever I'm building something, it's the poor man's geometric placement. Very poor nearly broke man, I could add.

Thanks! I never thought of this, its a little similar to using the carpet flooring except the carpet's line isn't straight which threw me off, so its an improvement!  

Kinda wish chests "snapped" onto the floor like walls do. 

Do you do anything special when you place a chest closer to the center? Away from the guidance of the dotted lines? Usually I can only use other chests to get my bearings, its the one thing I don't feel bad about re-rolling if I spent an entire day placing one chest lol.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Thanks! I never thought of this, its a little similar to using the carpet flooring except the carpet's line isn't straight which threw me off, so its an improvement!  

Kinda wish chests "snapped" onto the floor like walls do. 

Do you do anything special when you place a chest closer to the center? Away from the guidance of the dotted lines? Usually I can only use other chests to get my bearings, its the one thing I don't feel bad about re-rolling if I spent an entire day placing one chest lol.

for the center I try to center myself starting from the diagonal, but yeah it can be tricky to nail it. Wearing a marble suit can also help with building. The secret advantage of wimpy Wolfang is building on console lol.

Man us consoles players always have it rough. Chests are a pain in my bootholes, I always use the carpet flooring to kind of align the chests, but that's just impossible to get it perfectly, it's got something to do with character movement, if you're either one pixel to the left or to the right you just CAN'T place anything aligned properly. Pitchfork also helps when you find the sweet sweet spot of the dashed lines, the real problem is that it changes from tile to tile, or whichever way your character is looking. I mainly use pitchfork when I want only one thing at the top/bottom center.

But now my real secret, If you want something absolutely right at the center... Fences, since they snap to the ground as you wished chests would be, there is a centralized gap in between two fences, if you squeeze in there hard enough you get just right at the center of it. It always works but then again, if you're one pixel to either side or if you move just a tiny bit after being in the absolute center of it, everything goes down the drain. But hey, it's something...

Archived