Fugu Hutch with Glass Cutter should deal more damage.

I just found out that you can put a Glass Cutter inside Hutch to transform it into Fugu Hutch.

So from what I've found we can use:

a Glass Cutter (75 Uses, 68 Dmg)
a Strident Trident (150 Uses, 27,2 Dmg on land)
a Spear (150 Uses, 34 Dmg)
a Battle Spear (200 Uses, 42,5 Dmg)

When a mob attacks Fugu Hutch, the mob takes 30 damage regardless of the weapon used for the transformation.
I was pretty stoked when Hutch transformed after I put in the Glass Cutter, but just as disappointed when I noticed it still dealt the regular 30 damage.
(Makes sense since it's still the same Hutch, but still..)

It seems weird to me that the Strident Trident and the Glass Cutter were added to the transformation, given that the spear is still considerably the best choice for transforming Fugu Hutch (or Battle Spear for durability ofc). 
I don't know about the Strident Trident, but increasing the Glass Cutter damage from 30 to 60 would still deal the same amount of Damage per Durability, but the higher DPS output would justify the higher material cost. Effectively it ends up increasing the chance that the enemies die before Hutch does, which would certainly help me against those pesky Worms haha.

Anyways, while I suppose Klei made the change, so we can get rid of spears and still utilize Fugu Hutch while carrying Endgame-Equipment, to me it seems like punishing me for storing my Glass Cutter away in Hutch. It feels so terrible to waste Glass Cutter Durability for mere 30 Damage per hit.

Hutch.png.87ca23486f55f0ecfec1fa83061ab448.png

What's your take? Do you know good reasons for the damage to stay the same? 

PS: the Strident Trident is technically a Damage per Durability increase, but still doesn't hold up with the regular spear.

Update:
I've been digging the code and I understand the idea now. Klei didn't specifically add Glass Cutters or Tridents to the transformations-table.
According to the code, Glass Cutters transform Hutch because they are pointy, unlike Dark Swords, which are sharp.

Spoiler

local forms =
{
    CreateForm("FUGU", { "lightbattery", "pointy" }, "hutch_pufferfish_build", "hutch_pufferfish.png", SetDimLight, nil),
    CreateForm("MUSIC", { "lightbattery", "band" }, "hutch_musicbox_build", "hutch_musicbox.png", SetMusicLight, nil),
    CreateForm("NORMAL", nil, "hutch_build", "hutch.png", SetNormalLight, nil),
}

So while I would still love Glass Cutter Hutch to deal more damage, Kleis decision makes sense to me and I don't interpret this behaviour as an oversight now. 

Pointy things make Hutch pointy. Pointy Hutch deals 30 Damage.

Seems logical in the games context.
Still I wonder, why the Tentacle Spike isn't considered pointy, when even the Glass Cutter is..

23 hours ago, Tim S. said:

Update:
I've been digging the code and I understand the idea now. Klei didn't specifically add Glass Cutters or Tridents to the transformations-table.
According to the code, Glass Cutters transform Hutch because they are pointy, unlike Dark Swords, which are sharp.

Hide contents

local forms =
{
    CreateForm("FUGU", { "lightbattery", "pointy" }, "hutch_pufferfish_build", "hutch_pufferfish.png", SetDimLight, nil),
    CreateForm("MUSIC", { "lightbattery", "band" }, "hutch_musicbox_build", "hutch_musicbox.png", SetMusicLight, nil),
    CreateForm("NORMAL", nil, "hutch_build", "hutch.png", SetNormalLight, nil),
}

So while I would still love Glass Cutter Hutch to deal more damage, Kleis decision makes sense to me and I don't interpret this behaviour as an oversight now. 

Pointy things make Hutch pointy. Pointy Hutch deals 30 Damage.

Seems logical in the games context.
Still I wonder, why the Tentacle Spike isn't considered pointy, when even the Glass Cutter is..

Is the One Man Band the only item that counts as "band"?

As far as I can tell, yes. (In DST at least)

Only possible items I could think of were the Pan Flute, the Lucky Whistle, by extension the Odd Radio Trinket and the Divining Rod.
None of them have the "band" tag.

Archived