Logs of a Professor

Automatic notifier 21

Cycle 115

Nikola: Cycle 115, 5.5 cycles until arrival to the destination if launch procedures are in order at mid-day.

Proceeding with personal log.

So, today is the day. In the evening the last of the fuel should go into the rocket, the biological cargo is loaded, orbital cargo bay nominal and the cabin is pressurized. We are still missing the rations for the expected crew of three but if everything goes to plan Jones should be able to get it, pickle meal is… an ‘experience’, to eat. but it should last more than enough. This whole operation still worries me but hope is the last thing you lose, right? I just hope to see those two alive and to get away from this place. If something happens, this would be my last recording. It's an unexplainable feeling when everything is about to happen but it still hasn’t happened... For the critters it won’t be more than some cycles without food. For us it would be our last day.

[End of personal log]

[Starting recording]

Nikola: Preparations ready and launching at 14:00. No sightings of Jones or Nails. If they aren’t here at the twelfth schedule block it means that part of the mission has been compromised and I'll have to lamentably continue with the launch procedures. I have assigned myself the piloting skill, any non-crucial skill unassigned, it would put too much of on me and I'd already have to carry a whole colony by myself. The gas cargo canister has enough oxygen to keep us alive for around 20 cycles, it's a 5 cycle expedition. We’ll have 15 cycles to set up a basic life support system. A lonely expedition would last longer, but settling would be hard. On top of that is the mental strain of isolation. I might have survived this long down here but at least here I had a whole colony close by, even if they hate me... I'm afraid I won't be able to make it-

*quick passed steps*

Oh, for sure somebody is outside, I’ll go see if it’s Jones or Nails, the noise seems to come from only one person, maybe one didn’t make it… I'm worried. *Nikola climbs up a ladder*

Nikola: Jones? Jones?...... Nobody's here. *Sigh* Ok, this is risky, but I need to go outside. He may have gotten lost, that's all, yeah that's all...

Nikola steps outside in a silent pace, a long corridor of storage bins and doors extends as far as he can see, the unlit path from storage to storage, difficults every step he takes to prevent any noise.

Nikola: This is so... he never should have gone out, we may have solved the food problem then.

The door of the base became increasingly distant and the noise of the other steps long gone was really unnerving for Nikola.

Nikola: Maybe- Maybe I should return. This wasn't a good idea, I should have launched a schedule block ago.

With the first step back, a loud noise broke the silence in the room. Nikola froze in place.

Jones: Nick, we need to get out!

Nikola could respond, he was quickly following Jones through the darkness to the base, the whole situation going through his mind.

Nikola: what hap-

Jones: shh.

As Nikola and Jones approached the door behind the storage bin a figure emerged from the darkness.

Liam: No way in...

In desperation they ran in the other direction only to find their captors blocking the way.

Ren: ...And no way out.

Jones: Argh. Just let us go!

Nikola was simply in shock. so exhausted that the whole conversation that followed went over his head. He could only think about what went wrong, what they could have done better. His whole plan was exposed, the hopes, the freedom, his friends. All erased in the glimpse of an eye.

Nails entered the room and followed through a long corridor they had never seen. It all clicked in their mind, the pardon, the work, the isolation, the question. it was all a mind game.

Nails: Ren! Ren! Hey you don't have to do this! I'm still useful… I can- I can do what you want, believe me! I'll work overtime, I'll go to prison! just stop this! My life is yours! (Nervous laughter) I- I still have value, right? I'm still worth it you know! This is just a misunderstanding, I was totally gonna follow the plan, you- you just took me by surprise. Just- let's leave this aside.

Ren: Enough. I'm afraid that that won't be possible. You and your little friends have caused us enough trouble already, now you're gonna reunite with them, one. last. time. I'll give you that.

Nails: but- this is my home, I was here since the beginning everyone knows it. 

Ren: your home? Your home? you betrayed your own home, your own work, your own "friends", those who you think are good people, you think that they have answers? That they know the way? It's all against your own good, open your eyes. We tried to show you, you just had to see it, see around you, see this world all made by us. Believe me, I tried, I really tried to help you, to show you. but you, you are hopeless. your time has come.

A pneumatic door opens loudly, cutting through the tension in the room.

Ren: I have changed my mind, prisoners.

Jones: What, you’re gonna let us free? This is such, the fever dream.

Ren: Sarcasm… My answer is no, rather I have decided that you three are going down together… *fingers snap* Nails take a seat please.

Nikola struggles, tied to his seat with his mouth shut.

Jones: great…

Nails: No, Ren, please, just- just let me go. Guys I’m sorry-

Jones: There's no need Nails. You've said enough.

Ren: moving on, I have come to this outcome after finding no actual need for Nails in the colony. And as they say “snitches get stitches”. Tie them Liam.

Nails: No, no-

Liam ties Nails tight to a chair.

Ren: what a sight, what, a, sight. The one who killed her, the one who helped them and the one who is not from here. All tied before my eyes.

Nails: what do you mean?

Ren: what? The "not from here"? I thought you already knew it, what a friendship… this- individual who you know as "Jones" isn't actually from the colony, he was not printed by our lovely pod, we are not sure if he was printed at all, Ari found him in a sealed cave no food, no water, no source of air, he was unconscious, when Ari tried to wake him up and help him, he woke up startled and threatened to shoot them, he acted incoherently and said nonsensical things, I quickly tied him before he could harm poor Ari. We tried to get answers but nothing from him. Now, any answer? 

Nails: I- I don't know what to say. Jones, is it true?

Jones: Nails. I- I'm sorry.

Ren: I'd love to continue this conversation but we have things to do and feats to celebrate and this place is scorching. Here have the frost buns from earlier, see if you can enjoy them now and thanks for the rocket dandelion!

*Door slams shut* *padlock clicks*

Nails struggles tied to their seat. Jones stays still in his chair, looking defeated at the roof. Nikola pulls all the stops to free himself but for nothing. The room is full of smoke, heat and a strange Mystery that extends beyond what is seen.

*Steps fade away*

Nails: Jones?

Nails: Please, speak to me, I don't wanna go like this.

Nails: I ruined it, I shouldn't have left, I know, Nikola? I- I'm sorry, you tried to help us and what did I give you in return?... I deserve this. I deserve to not know. I deserve to live a lie but you two don't deserve to go with me-

Jones: No… Nails, it's my fault, I messed it up, I tried to hurt people before, I stole frost buns in an attempt to selfishly save my life, I hid everything from you, I ruined Nikola's plan. He even tried to help me when I was running to the rocket. I planned to get the food for myself when I heard your news at the turn of the century, but the meal wood farm was almost completely gone. I thought you left us when you were actually having a really hard time covering us up. I'm sorry.

Nails: Jones- I- couldn’t bear any longer, it's my fault…  Now we are all gonna pay. I pardon you for keeping that secret, it doesn't change anything, we’ll always be friends. Nikola I'm sorry. I could have done better, thank you.

Jones: Nails I pardon you.

Nikola nods in agreement, not being able to say anything.

[Time skip]

Nikola laid placid in his chair just waiting to rest knowing that he had done well in life. Jones had a plain expression looking away with a certain relief, he had seen death before only this time he was gonna die happy near his friends. Nails was still thinking about many things, the people they had seen suffer, when would They rest? Who would remember Them? They had nothing and it seemed like Nails was the only one caring about Them, they just hoped to see Them free.

A dandelion left to fly through harsh winds only to land, grow and finally wither. Yet in the worst of situations you can still see the light.

In the dark blanket that covered the room something moved through the winding paths of the cave, something observed. Without anyone noticing, something got closer and closer. It approached Nails who didn’t even notice it, lost in their thoughts, and it gently touched Nails’ arm

Nails: The cold hands of death... Take me away…

Jones: what the-? Someone is here!

The figure quickly untied everyone and ran into the darkness.

Nikola: aha! Thrown back into the board! Time to play our cards guys. Nails take the buns and everyone run up the ladder, we've been given another chance and it won't be long before they find out.

Jones: Who are they? Why did they save us?

Nikola: No time to waste, just go, we'll find out later.

Nails: is this enough for the trip?

Nikola: With the food onboard, it seems like it.

The mysterious figure quickly climbed the rough ladder with Nikola, Nails and Jones following behind with renewed hopes.

Nikola: This is beyond exciting.

Jones: You think so? Because we are not out of trouble, just look down.

Nails: oh, no. They're coming.

Nikola: Quick fill out the ladder, there is igneous nearby. We need to gain some time.

As their captors climbed the ladder and threatened to shoot, Jones quickly blocked the way with some tiles and continued ascending. As they reached the top and got to the base of the rocket the figure ran away into the nearby ruins.

Jones: What are they doing? They just come in, free us and then disappear without a word?

Nails: we can't leave them. They saved our lives.

Nikola: Hmmm, Nails and Jones climb up and initiate launch procedures, change the crew list.

Jones: What are you doing?

Nikola: saving someone when I can, go and wait for me!

Nails: oh pod.

Jones: He’s gonna get killed. 

Nikola ran across the frosty surface to the ruins. Nails and Jones climbed as quickly as their limbs allowed them to and opened the doors at the top that prevented the launch. Nikola entered the broken down ruin finding a little camp hidden away in the cracks.

Nikola: hello? Please come here, we are running out of time.

Nikola: I won't hurt you, I want to thank you for saving us.

Nikola found the figure in a little room, holding firmly an old broken down tape, they were wearing a gray rain coat. The room was filled with beautiful markings in the snowy walls that resembled drawings made by the most precise artistic tool with a small firm with the name Max. In a frosty box three sleet wheat grains showed the humble rations Max collected from the scarce plants nearby.

Nikola: Max? How long have you been here?

Max shoke in terror or from the cold, in the end of the cot still holding firmly the tape

Nikola: do you- like tapes? Here, I have one.

Max looked at the tape curiously and stepped out of the cot.

Nikola: See, everything is fine. Look, I need to get you out of here, you can have my tape if you come with me, I'll bring your supplies if you want, we have everything you may need in the rocket.

Max thought for a moment and nodded their head in agreement. Both of them ran out of the camp hidden in the ruin and in a second they were already climbing the ladder. Halfway through a loud noise came from an opening at the base of the ladder which was soon followed by Ren and his crew pointing their multitools at them.

Ren: ¡Stop, right now!

Nikola: Run. Max ¡Run! ¡Jones turn on the engine!

Balls of plasma ascend quickly, almost hitting them, they impact on the ladder and parts of the rocket generating bright flashes of light as Nikola and Max approach the top.

Nikola: ¡Almost there!

The ground shakes with the flame of the engine making some of the crew fall but Ren keeps firmly clinging to the ladder and makes a last shot hitting Nikola in the foot almost making him call but Max pulls him up and both enter the hatch. With the crew onboard the rocket launches even with a last attempt from Ren to open the door. Flying into the unknown yet clear space above, with growesta growing distant in the sky.

Archived