The UI for crafting is bad and seems made for phones only.
From having to open it when you want to build multiple buildings or need to search through it to find things that are sorted in categories that make little sense or have no coherent rule that you could fall back to, to quickly find what you need.
The searching issue could be levitated if you could just type in what you're searching for, you could even make it so, holding alt and left clicking on something for example would open the crafting menu and lighting the object you've clicked on.

But the left panel design of the crafting menu is just bad for a pc game and i'd say even for a console game, it would be much better with a simple grid design, with tabs of objects grouped together based on how you interacted with them, like the Salt Lick and the Tent should be in a common tab for structures and not separated apart, or have all items have search tags, like if you wanted to find all items related to beefalo taming, you'd just type in "beefalo".

The Crafting Menu needs a redesign and item grouping should be different.

The health/sanity/hunger indicators are in the far top right corner, which forces you to take your eye away from the combat to see them, this is fine for a phone where you are starring intensely on a tiny screen and where it needs to be out of the way when clicking on stuff, but on a PC this is just too far.

I wholeheartedly agree :applause:!!!!

The crafting menu is complete GARBAGE!!! Especially when you're using a bunch of mods which add dozens of new items, not only it becomes an absolute tedious chore to scroll through the menu to find what you want to make but it also lags when a bunch of mods add lot of new recipes!

What makes it even more depressing and sad to me is that the "crafting" menu in what seems to be the earliest versions of Don't Starve seem to even be better than what is currently in the game.

327453097_veryolddstcraftingmenu.thumb.png.a291f3069aede4ec6605ac1070c0fe54.png

As you can see this "shop" at least at 5 items shown per row which makes it much less tedious to scroll through a list with a two rows of 5 items then scroll through a list which lags and only shows 8 items which I don't think you can even interact with the bottom and top ones without more scrolling!

The game's crafting menu is really need a rework at minimum if it isn't completely changed it needs a crafting window like Terraria has.

craftingwindow.gif.b23ae1f7970525fba5bfcd8e142eba87.gif

In Terraria the crafting GUI is very similar to DST, but the major difference is you can bring up a crafting menu that displays all the items you can craft on your screen in a nice square shape then you aren't forced to scroll through several dozen items to find what you want to make...

I also love your idea to have a search feature, that would be amazing if you can search for items based on their name or even crafting recipes have tags like how mods can have tags to search for server containing them then you can search "tool" and all the tools in the tab you're on will be shown.

It would be an amazing QoL feature and really make the game feel much better if the super outdated crafting menu can be made to be more efficient and less time consuming and generally annoying.

As for the stats I literally can't play without the Combined Status mod that when the game crashes and kindly disables all your client mods for you if I join a game and see the mod's disabled I leave and toggle it on. I can't believe the game's GUI in general is still so lacking and extremely bare-bones it doesn't even say your stats without hovering over it which's extremely dumb! Like you said it feels like a mobile game's GUI, but I've played mobile games that have better GUI than DST without mods!

I really hope with all the new updates DST is getting which seems to make it feel more advanced and grandiose and less simplistic like it was before that the GUI will be reworked too.

Combined Status, Geometric Placement, Gesture Wheel, an improved crafting GUI... these are all things DST really should have instead of the primitive ooga booga ways of doing things without mods for more than 5 years now (technically 8 since the GUI's identical to Don't Starve).

7 hours ago, --- -.- said:

Combine status brokes the intention of the game which i though it was obvious

I hate terraria menu, ugly and non intuitive

That beta menu is the research point shop if i dont recall wrong which sucks because is covering the entire danm screen

As always is difficult to take you serious with that way of expresing

Idk how people use their mouses because i navigate from the top to the bottom with 1 move. Is very confortable and only confusing if you have 1h of gameplay because how overwhelming are the amount of recipes. Also it has "phone" hud because it was programed to be played just with the mouse for that you can even rotate the camera and access to all the menus, slots, etc with your cursor

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Combine status brokes the intention of the game which i though it was obvious

What?! Showing your current health, sanity, and hunger on their bars breaks the game? LOL are you an elitist wickergang player

I hate terraria menu, ugly and non intuitive

I didn't say to copy the Terraria menu.. I said to add a crafting window button to bring up all crafting recipes on the screen which's optional to click then players can craft things easier. feels like u didnt even read the post and replied to it

That beta menu is the research point shop if i dont recall wrong which sucks because is covering the entire danm screen

As always is difficult to take you serious with that way of expresing

so? othr crafting menu in other game they usualy conver the entire screen anyeweays idc about beta menu but it still was more efcient then how it is now. if u not take me serious with that way of expresing as always i cant take u serious either with that way of expresing as always to bro

Archived