All Ways to Get Energy

The coal generator is crying, the best friend is the sage hatch or the stone hatch in any event.

Nice write up, some mods produce alternate ways of power. (But that's beyond the article.)

Shine bug reactors can be less CPU intensive if you can confine the shine bugs into the tile inside a 3x3 box, as a result of not needing to path the bugs. One thing I like to do is make a stack of them so that when there are enough shine bugs in the bottom box, all you need to do is add the floor of the 3x3 box above to get the next one filling. You get ~8% of shine bug output affecting solar panels 'above' the box, and ~30% of shine bug output affecting solar panels 'below' the box. As a result you can use a spreadsheet to work out the time to swap to the next box, or go by ~300W output before moving to the next box.

Alternatively, instead of stacking the shine bug boxes vertically, you can fit 3 panels around each box, a panel directly beneath the box will be more effective than a panel to the side of the box. Then you need to work out a better means of filling the boxes.

18 hours ago, JRup said:

The coal generator is crying,

Perhaps I put the coal generator in second place for nothing. But agree, you either have to dig up coal or build a hatch farm, and that's more complicated than a simple geyser pump.

LadenSwallowShine bug Farm would be an interesting choice if you want to build an ecological base: solar panels in space, Shine bug farm, geothermal energy, etc. It's a good idea for experimentation.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:24 PM, LadenSwallow said:

Alternatively, instead of stacking the shine bug boxes vertically, you can fit 3 panels around each box, a panel directly beneath the box will be more effective than a panel to the side of the box. Then you need to work out a better means of filling the boxes.

While there is a CPU hit, it isn't game crippling. I was able to run two three panel shine bug reactors in my last base, even on my old laptop. Now that I have a new desktop computer, it barely notices the reactors.

Yes, confine the shine bugs to one tile. It's not hard to fill the boxes. Build a ranch and use a sweeper arm to move the eggs onto a conveyor rail and drop the eggs into the box though a mesh door via a conveyor chute.

I would not argue that they are the most powerful solution, but their big advantage is that once they are set up, they require zero input, zero maintenance, and produce zero waste. In the base I mentioned above, my reactors produce a reliable and constant 2 kw of power.

Archived