LAN server has higher ping than online server

I have recently learned how to setup servers so I am using my old laptop to host servers.

One thing I noticed is that if I start up my online server it has a steady 16 ping, but if I start up my LAN server it has an unstable ping that ranges from 14 to 130 ping, most commonly around 95 ping or so.

I am just curious what's causing my LAN server to get higher ping? I am under the impression that LAN server is usually faster than online server. Can one actually get close to 0 ping speed though LAN?

Some additional info:
my online server has a brand new world, LAN server has a world that I migrated from a non-dedicated server cluster which is around 400 days.
I used to play that LAN world directly through steam from the old laptop, and my friend who is connecting locally also told me before that they usually see an average of 90+ ping. 

It's probably a traffic routing thing. Means: The connection to your server is probably routed somewhere over the internet for whatever reason instead of directly to your local server.

Try connecting directly/locally to your server using

c_connect("<local server ip>", port, "<password>")

And then check your ping using the backspace menu ingame.

I'd love to know if DST actually detects if the server and connecting player are in the same network, when connecting through the global lobby or via Steam's join game feature (server should report internal LAN IP for the player). If not, such connections will either work well enough with hairpin NAT (that's not always supported/set up on home routers), or rely on the usual proxies, which may introduce significant latency.

It has been years since I tried it, but last time the game wouldn't even connect to a server on local network through the global lobby. When possible, bypass the lobby by switching to LAN in the server browser.

@Daniel86268

I tried to connect to it through c_connect() but it keeps saying server is not responding lol I probably entered wrong ip, I double checked and I thought it was 127.0.0.1

Regardless, if I actually enter the game through normal means, the average pin is actually under 10, so I guess that wasn't actually an issue! My local friend sometime lag horribly when connecting to the the world hosted directly through game before, but I guess that's just because my old gaming laptop couldn't handle it.

7 hours ago, xxXolot said:

I double checked and I thought it was 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 is always the local loopback ip of any device, so when you tried to connect to it your PC tried to connect to itself.

Check on your server again. There should be a different IP address attached to the network interface.

Archived