One thing that's sort of always bothered me is that duplicants can just hold their breath and work in a vacuum with no issue. With the changes to duplicants being immersed in different gasses I feel like it wouldn't be unreasonable to make space a little more dangerous. In reality being exposed to a vacuum can cause a lot of issues. Just to keep things simple I will post a video for those interested.

Spoiler

My idea is two changes simple changes that can lead to other changes to balance around. 

1: Duplicants can't hold their breath in a vacuum.
This can be countered by oxygen masks.
2: Duplicants get a debuff or injury for being in a vacuum too long.
This is countered by wearing a atmo suit or etc.

8 hours ago, crbd115 said:

One thing that's sort of always bothered me is that duplicants can just hold their breath and work in a vacuum with no issue. With the changes to duplicants being immersed in different gasses I feel like it wouldn't be unreasonable to make space a little more dangerous. In reality being exposed to a vacuum can cause a lot of issues. Just to keep things simple I will post a video for those interested.

Hide contents

My idea is two changes simple changes that can lead to other changes to balance around. 

1: Duplicants can't hold their breath in a vacuum.
This can be countered by oxygen masks.
2: Duplicants get a debuff or injury for being in a vacuum too long.
This is countered by wearing a atmo suit or etc.

Realistically, holding your breath is the exact wrong thing to do when transitioning from a pressurized environment to a vacuum. Your lungs would explosively decompress in a gruesome fashion.

Atmo suits in vacuum do more than just supply the user with breathable air. They pressurize the environment around you so that you can breath without exploding as well as insulating you from the thermodynamic effects of naked vacuum in contact with a hot massive body.

3 minutes ago, DaClown said:

Realistically, holding your breath is the exact wrong thing to do when transitioning from a pressurized environment to a vacuum. Your lungs would explosively decompress in a gruesome fashion.

Atmo suits in vacuum do more than just supply the user with breathable air. They pressurize the environment around you so that you can breath without exploding as well as insulating you from the thermodynamic effects of naked vacuum in contact with a hot massive body.

yes that's part of what I was saying with my suggestion

Also, holding the breath should make very funny noises like Fhuuuu ah ghni ghni geh rzhaf!

image.png.1ac0d030e2ed4cda10bae81f1db0edcc.png

The latest dupe Xrays have revealed that Stinky`s lung looks like this, therefore explaining the lung sounds.

image.png.1deffa76f1dd8e720438fb59d9c2e617.pngStinky`s lung Xray

image.thumb.png.2df0e722f453d5cb0e2b6b64a5966eaf.png Xray of a normal babba lung

Well, from what I've gathered from the lore, the Duplicants are specially designed printable mini-humans which were specifically made for a hard life on an asteroid. They are tiny, 30 Kg in mass, they sleep very little and work very lot, and they can hold their breath while under heavy physical exertion much longer than an average human. So I wouldn't say it's beyond the realm of possibility that they are also made to survive the vacuum of space for longer and not have their lungs explode.

From a purely game balance angle though, I'm not entirely sure a Space oriented DLC should make Space less accessible than it was before. Think it has plenty of hurdles to overcome as it is. Increasing the background space radiation could do the thing you want indirectly, if Atmosuits can nullify it fully.

17 hours ago, Unfawkable said:

Well, from what I've gathered from the lore, the Duplicants are specially designed printable mini-humans which were specifically made for a hard life on an asteroid. They are tiny, 30 Kg in mass, they sleep very little and work very lot, and they can hold their breath while under heavy physical exertion much longer than an average human. So I wouldn't say it's beyond the realm of possibility that they are also made to survive the vacuum of space for longer and not have their lungs explode.

From a purely game balance angle though, I'm not entirely sure a Space oriented DLC should make Space less accessible than it was before. Think it has plenty of hurdles to overcome as it is. Increasing the background space radiation could do the thing you want indirectly, if Atmosuits can nullify it fully.

I thought about increasing the radiation but tbh I don't really like that we can get most of our radiation research done fairly easily through setting up 2 radbolt generators in space on the first asteroid. The other thing is that while dupes are designed differently that doesn't change the fact that the vacuum would be too strong for that. Part of this is to make masks and suits at least a little more necessary. I would normally say just wearing a mask wouldn't be enough but with the system Iwas suggesting was to be a give and take. If you only had access to masks because you rushed space or the asteroid had no way to make suits you could still access and use space fairly easily it just might slow your dupes down a little. I don't think this makes space less accessible at all it just makes using a suit or a mask necessary like it should be. Making a mask set up behind an airlock to space takes almost no effort. 

Just for an example this is how i basically set up all my asteroids now. All I'm suggesting is that you would have to set up a mask or suit station before the door. Idk why this is being made out to be such a big deal.

image.thumb.png.36a00ba1d767247f5d9a2fe39428c62d.png

Archived