Added synergy between Winnona and her structures

So, Winnona is a bit of a pick-and-swap character but I believe this is more of a problem with the florid postern itself and not Winnona. What I do find problematic is that Winnona herself does not greatly benefit from her own structures in a unique way. She builds them, sure, but once they are placed she is kind of not needed. Makes sense as she would probably want practical machinery that anyone can use. 

I have come up with a new structure that allows for Winnona to have a stronger connection with her own structures: The Cycletron 3000. Only she can use this structure.

The Cycletron 3000:

This is an exercise bike that Winona can petal to create electrical current via friction. She can power structures momentarily as long as she have the hunger to power it. It does not have the same output as any of the generators, and so cannot power the same number of structures. The cycletron 3000 will become harder to pedal the more structures it needs to power until it no longer can be pedaled. This structure would be portable much like Walter's tent.

The idea is that Winnona can power maybe 2 or so catapults for basic things (hound waves, spider nests) without needing a dedicated generator every time or much upkeep. 

More structures that benefit

Since catapults would be the only structure to benefit it would seem a bit like a wasted effort. So I have come up with a few more structures that can benefit both the cycletron 3000 and Winnona.

Deep Freezer:

This is a fridge (one slot but takes stacks) that need to be powered in order to function. It will overwrite a blue meter over the green one that is found in food. It indicates something has been frozen (cannot be eaten) an is in the process of thawing. Once the food has thawed completely the green meter will resume and the food cannot be re-frozen.  Winnona can find herself needing lots of food if she decides to craft on the go. While bundles do exist I find myself less and less inclined to use them. Great in multiplayer too when large amounts of food need an extended expiration date.

Pick-O-Matic

This is a tall structure with hands which can "pick" a large number of resources within a given radius. Now that disease is gone Winnona can benefit from a large field of grass tufts, saplings, berry bushes, farmable, etc all at 3x the efficiency. The items once picked will be left on the ground for the player to pick up.

Rework Spotlight

Allow this structure to be turned off and Charge while off. A meter on the side of the structure to indicate charge level.

Conclusion:

While you can add a generator to power these... Well why not just use the Cycletron 3000 rather than have a dedicated generator for every single lone machine? The cycletron 3000 would allow for more machinery to be built that does not need its own personal generator.

Deep Freezer: We already have an alternative for it: the Snow Chester.

Rewerked Spotlight: Having it charge while off is a great idea, but Winona's tapes aren't advanced enough for putting a meter on it, maybe it should require a gem to craft, and the glowing gem on its base will be the indicator of a charged Spotlight, To not looks ugly it should be very small on the art tho.

Pick-O-Matic: This has been recently suggested, no problem with this one but I don't like the idea of automation at this scale for this game.

The Cycletron 3000: Adding pedaling in a game filled with chores and stuff to do is just a bad idea, we have a lot of resources at DST and little time, so Generators are perfect for power generation. 

I like the ideas but they need some tweaks, the cycletron can go really bad with how most mobs work,this one I can see where it's going but the cycletron might not be the right answer.

Deep Freezer is a polarizing one, we already have salt, I don't think we need another preservation method,we would just be making food forever and ever,would be cool if Winona had a Desalinator or a Sprinkler that pops Salt out of it from time to time, being that the water comes from the sea. We don't really need that much Salt, I feel that we will get something like it in the future, Hopefully for Winona.

I love the Pick-o-Matic, I don't know from where people don't want automation in the most boring aspect of gameplay,almost every month we have a thread on reworking the Orange Amulet or such,even when it's not a giant Birchnut Forest harvesting, it's time consuming, and would still be, we'd have to dig and all or even set things up, would even help a lot with salt gathering. Would even have a good synergy with most characters.
Or, Itens should have the Rot mechanic that just puts them together after a while if left on the ground, would solve many things without touching Winona.

The spotlight just need to be turned off, or the generators, at least the GEM nerator should.

The thing is, Winona needs to be the one Taking care of the Machines,make it so people can manage low tier buildings and generators only, the normal gen and the spotlight, even the catapults for a strech, any other utility crafts and the GEM nerator only her can opperate, just like some characters don't know how to use some stuff from other characters. The only exception from the GEM and the high tier crafts would be Wagstaff in a future time that we don't know how far or true it is.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, Chesmu said:

Deep Freezer: We already have an alternative for it: the Snow Chester.

Ice chester doesn't exist in the ruins but a well placed fridge does the work.

Rewerked Spotlight: Having it charge while off is a great idea, but Winona's tapes aren't advanced enough for putting a meter on it, maybe it should require a gem to craft, and the glowing gem on its base will be the indicator of a charged Spotlight, To not looks ugly it should be very small on the art tho.

Id argue tapes shouldn't be making electrical machinery in the first place haha. 

Pick-O-Matic: This has been recently suggested, no problem with this one but I don't like the idea of automation at this scale for this game.

I think automation fit perfectly in sandbox games (ex: terraria and minecraft). Though I can see how it may not fit in this game specifically.

The Cycletron 3000: Adding pedaling in a game filled with chores and stuff to do is just a bad idea, we have a lot of resources at DST and little time, so Generators are perfect for power generation. 

Well when you have a meat farm there tends to be a lot of standing around. For example a simple fenced bunny farm where you aggro a few with meat and let a houndious kill them. Except winona will climb the bike and power 2 catapults to farm some bunny puffs (or silk, etc) no gems (varg farm) or nitre (mining/mole farm) needed. 

20 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Well when you have a meat farm there tends to be a lot of standing around.

Yes, that's also a problem with the new Farming mechanism if you want to grow a lot of stuff; I think this should be fixed directly, by adjusting the farming itself and not adding an outside fix (like an item) to it, because we recently have a lot of new items here and there and DST may get overloaded. :D

20 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Id argue tapes shouldn't be making electrical machinery in the first place haha. 

Yeah that too, one of the generators gets its power from gems, while the other one is just wires and a battery like screen on it! weird.

Archived