Surgical masks for dupes?

Variety is the spice of live! And with a nod to current times, I’d really like to see the addition of disposable surgical face masks as the entry level mask solution. Really easy/cheap to craft early game, and simple to use. To reduce the likelihood of contracting slime lung, allergies or other airborne irritants or pollutants (not gases) in the first instance. Simple, largely cosmetic, but fun addition that could be kept in a green or red first aid box and collected automatically by dupes if an (automatable) alarm is sounded. If a doctoring skill is needed to craft them, it would also enhance the role of a doctor early game too.

Actually now we have the tools to make things like that. Before we lacked a low tier crafting station that could handle them (unless we counted the apothecary). But now when we got the oxygen masks we could get some sort of filter masks. Low tier, stored in a checkpoint would allow to easily handle slimelung areas and a allergic dupe coould have a checkpoint near his bed.

The things could have low durability but a low cost of repairs. Would prevent slimelung exposure, allergy exposure and youcky lungs debuff.

Actually when i think about it it might be too good. Maybe they should require a bit of reed fiber for initial construction.

I like the idea, but the slimelung (and other diseases) must be more severe, or at least we should need option to increase their severity. Without that all germs systems seem like complex logic that in the end has no effect on the game - adding masks would increase complexity without really affecting the system, at least not in meaningful way. But this is ofc not an issue with your idea :)

Archived