lowest-tech sterile food storage

So guys I know this isn't anything advanced. I like to share things for people who are newer to the game. As well as my finished builds, but I don't have any finished builds right now.

image.thumb.png.7f225d6b8b908981d06082d773009ef7.png

Got this completed on cycle 9, without ignoring any obvious needs! I have power, water, research station, a bathroom, Oxygen, a place for CO2 to settle, farm, barracks, kitchen, and a mess hall.

If you didn't know, keeping your food completely immersed in CO2 keeps it from spoiling. The effect is a lot like having a fridge.

Dupes can pick up food from the container through the barrier. Update: it has to be oriented the way I've shown it, with dupes standing in the dining room on the left. They can reach through the water barrier and pick up food, from the mess hall.

Getting the single tile of water is a little bit tricky - Put a bottle emptier right on that spot. Set it to auto-bottle and empty water. Watch for someone delivering to the emptier, de-select water right when someone loads a bottle. Now mop to leave only that one spot with water. Don't mop 1 tile away, mop 2 tiles away on either side. You'll be left with a single bead of H2O that you can build that barrier above. Keep your cook a bit busy and the space will fill up with CO2.

Here it is in action:

kitchen.gif.bd5bd0accc8ecfc793710c9b85589ac2.gif

When you get the tech for it, you can shrink that storage space to 1 tile wide - and use a fridge instead. Even with a fridge, still beneficial to do this, especially in the swamp biome - where the polluted oxygen will spoil your food. And, you don't have to power it. (though this seems to have changed again recently so who knows about the future). And this way you can have the storage on either the left OR the right, (when you use a fridge)

image.thumb.png.fdfcd496f19e5eda66ccd5ce8c85e816.png

ugh, spoilers on this forum software are so frustrating to manage.

Can your dupes actually reach through that water tile and grab food? I'm pretty sure the tile-of-interest for the food container is the lower left. That would place it 3 tiles away and out of reach of the dupes.

I've just been corner building a vacuum to store the food like this, but I remember it being unreachable with the access on the right.

9 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Can your dupes actually reach through that water tile and grab food? I'm pretty sure the tile-of-interest for the food container is the lower left. That would place it 3 tiles away and out of reach of the dupes.

I've just been corner building a vacuum to store the food like this, but I remember it being unreachable with the access on the right.

You are correct! I'll update the illustration.

I switched it to a fridge pretty quickly and didn't notice.

Re corner building, yes. That is more efficient. Put this way I've described in the "very low tech ways without using advanced mechanics, meant to be as intuitive as possible". Same goes for single-tile storage, usually requires mechatronics.

4 hours ago, avc15 said:

Re corner building, yes. That is more efficient. Put this way I've described in the "very low tech ways without using advanced mechanics, meant to be as intuitive as possible". Same goes for single-tile storage, usually requires mechatronics.

Not sure if you're considering the corner building techniques (or in this case, just deconstructing through corners) as advanced mechanics, but it's possible to build this as a closed off vacuum storage really early in the game.

Overall though, it's a great technique to learn and utilize.  If you replace the fridge with a storage bin, you could either preload the space with chlorine, or first store some bleach stone until it off gasses to 1.8kg/tile and you have a great little box for degerming slime when destroying a slime biome.  

The smaller fridge version also works well for food storage in a spacefarer module.  When I went to the niobium planet I realized the thermium I was bringing back was quickly overheating my cabin.   Replaced the fridge with a bin and stored it in there.   No atmosphere = no heat transfer = no problem

Archived