Easiest way for liquid steel?

Dear all,

Some time ago I was able to melt ice makers or (I think) space heaters to get molten steel. Now both of them have their overheat temperatures so I can't melt them in usual way. I am on my way to build abyssalite melter that I absolutely need for tungsten and finally for thermium. Liquid steel is one of the few last things I need before production. So far I see only one way: take liquid gold from volcano I already tamed, heat it up in metal refinery. Drop onto diamond tile and transfer heat to steel tile, pump steel.

But this seems to be significant effort. Is there any simpler way for liquid steel now?

Thanks!

obraz.png.e9307c28bbac203a8ce9a13ac67256f4.png

The simplest (albeit not particularly fast) way to melt steel is probably the rocket exhaust. IIRC, it can heat up to 2792 degrees which is enough to melt steel.

As for volcano, I'd say gold is probably the worst of the metallic ones due to its low specific heat capacity. Iron would probably be a better choice.

6 hours ago, Mastermindx said:

The simplest (albeit not particularly fast) way to melt steel is probably the rocket exhaust. IIRC, it can heat up to 2792 degrees which is enough to melt steel.

As for volcano, I'd say gold is probably the worst of the metallic ones due to its low specific heat capacity. Iron would probably be a better choice.

I will try, thank You!

8 hours ago, Mastermindx said:

Should it looks like this?
obraz.png.f1f06877c4a0c0e14b17c08af2fe50a7.png

Or do I need to separate gases from exhaust by removing one diamond layer? (Should  I use heat from the exhaust gases or gather heat from the area below rocket engine that is heated anyway?)

Is petroleum engine enough?

My favorite method is to run an aquatuner in a vacuum. It will melt before it breaks from overheating.

Line the collection pit below with airflow tiles (in a vacuum) for perfect insulation and pump it with a steel pump. The pump will get most or all of the liquid before breaking.

9 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

My favorite method is to run an aquatuner in a vacuum. It will melt before it breaks from overheating.

Line the collection pit below with airflow tiles (in a vacuum) for perfect insulation and pump it with a steel pump. The pump will get most or all of the liquid before breaking.

Thanks! I am on my way. I used insulated tiles. They are pretty much the same.

Just two more rocket starts...

There is good thing about steel that the melting point is way higher than freezing point.

You could always start with a low temperature molten metal like lead and then use the refineries to heat that up.

Then transition to other metals or magma for higher temperature melting.

Aluminum works really well for high temperature melting due to its really high thermal capacity for a metal.

It doesn't have a huge amount of head room over steels melting point though.

I have already created molten steel with setup from the post above. I launched my rocket 7 times to melt 405 kg of steel (there are four metal tiles and one automation wire). I had some issues with waterlock that was evaporating due to high temperature of carried molten steel but I made a small labyrinth with gas pump and liquid pump in the middle. (Gas pump for vacuum and liquid pump to pump molten steel into metal refinery.)

52 minutes ago, Fyrel said:

Aluminum works really well for high temperature melting due to its really high thermal capacity for a metal.

It wouldn't work for me as the evaporating point is way too low. I need liquid steel for abyssalite melter. I need to heat it up to 3600 C.

obraz.thumb.png.4d9ee01848822ab2e0e497177e6a72eb.png

OMG I am so excited as I've been building it for over 200 cycles.

Archived