(Solved) Having problems trying to use a custom texture for particles

Assert failure 'mTexture != INVALID_RESOURCE_HANDLE' at ..\source\game\render\VFXEffectEmitter.cpp(586): Trace follows...

Getting this error when trying to make a unique particle texture, this texture is power of 2 and converts properly from the .png to .tex but when I try to call it for the particle emitter it crashes the client.

Edit:
Solution:
softresolvefilepath() for the texture path in effect:SetRenderResources

Edited by IronHunter
Solved
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IronHunter said:

Assert failure 'mTexture != INVALID_RESOURCE_HANDLE' at ..\source\game\render\VFXEffectEmitter.cpp(586): Trace follows...

Getting this error when trying to make a unique particle texture, this texture is power of 2 and converts properly from the .png to .tex but when I try to call it for the particle emitter it crashes the client.

How are you calling it? Can you share the specific line of code?

36 minutes ago, Hornete said:

How are you calling it? Can you share the specific line of code?

I can share the files, I have done some tests and it seems the error happens even if I extract a vanilla texture and recompile it.

Edit:
This works completely fine with vanilla textures its just when I attempt to use a modded texture it doesn't work.
To test this you'll need to spawn dirt_linedrawer prefab

The specific line of code that its called is lines 241, which is then referenced by line 244 in assets and line 273 in effect:SetRenderResources which I am assuming is where the problem is. As it seems to be a c side error.

@CarlZalph says the error:
That error means that the texture handle is invalid.

rn_particle_linedrawer.lua mcdirt.tex

Edited by IronHunter
  • Like 1