Where do you base as a solo player in DST?

since most of the "farms" i build are usually not tied to a specific place... i like to build my base with access to

pig king (for gold)

bosses (BQ\DF)

water(to sail and fish)

mosaic biome

good cave entrance

and if i'm in a mood to change characters - celestial portal.

though i'm lazy. most of the time i'll settle near the desert of pig king and it'll be ok with me.

since RWYS, which gave us the ability to place down farms and have easy access to sanity-restoring food year-round, I only care about wormholes and cave entrances. sure, deserts and tumbleweed flying around are nice and all, I do harvest them early game, but they have little value if you're playing Wendy or Wurt for example, and will be outclassed by a lureplant farm pretty early on.

I tend to pick my base locations like I pick the spot for my capitol city in "Civilization"--next to as many useful resources as possible.

Usually my main base ends up in the savannah, for rabbits and grass, and I have a small satellite base near frog ponds for spring.  I also tend to like living where berry bushes already are so I don't have to worry about refertilization, so meadows end up as a base location too. But not just ANY savannah or meadow.  It should be nearish or bordering at least one of the following:  Forest, swamp, rockland, desert.  One time I had a base on exactly the triangle point where three biomes met.  That was cool-looking.

If I can't find gears in time (I randomise my season lengths and also use Huge worlds) I go nomadic in the summer and tend to hang out near forests (including the cherry one) for shade, and if I'm doing the March of Civilization challenge I tend to leave firepits all over the place during the first year, since it's the only permanent structure I'm allowed to build during that time.  : P

...Notorious

Archived