exact viscocity numbers as a property

It would be nice to have the exact viscocity of liquids given to us as a liquid property number.

This came about because of an experiment I was doing regarding "liquid drips" in the space biome. I was primarily testing to see if a greater distance between a liquid vent and its point of impact would result in any loss of liquid volume if the drip travel is in a vacuum (which it doesn't, regardless of the liquid used).

A byproduct of this test, however, revealed that the amount of liquid that does not get lost to vacuum differs by liquid which I suspect is due to viscocity - the max amount of water that will fill a tile before vacuum loss is 1000k, but the max amount of viscogel that will fill a tile before vacuum loss is 100k.

(apologies for the fuzziness here, i accidentally saved the video in a very small size and needed to blow this up after the fact)

1198677808_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).thumb.gif.0a00ed7207d066381a4a980bc106bae1.gif

if viscocity is indeed the culprit of this difference, it would be nice for players to be able to have knowledge of viscocity property to aid in engineering designs in which this would have an impact such as the above. Another example that springs to mind is how magma viscocity influenced Francis John's petro boiler design.

Agreed. There's a few pieces of essential information hid from the player, or basic calculations it would be nice to have in the tooltips. Average Geyser output over the entire lifecycle for example is a pretty basic calculation, but one which must be done frequently and thus is prone to errors. Anything which requires the outside use of a calculator should be really be handled by the game itself.

I'm all for having a viscosity property! How would it be displayed though? Max per tile? (Wouldn't this be density?) Max per tile before horizontal flow occurs? Max distance of horizontal flow before flow stops? The second & third are affected by viscosity, but how would you present the information intuitively?

On 2/1/2021 at 10:13 AM, Slavon Blue said:

I'm all for having a viscosity property! How would it be displayed though? Max per tile? (Wouldn't this be density?) Max per tile before horizontal flow occurs? Max distance of horizontal flow before flow stops? The second & third are affected by viscosity, but how would you present the information intuitively?

i was thinking that it could be a property with a number like mass, melting point, etc. that would be a part of the tile info screen and/or part of the database/lexicon.

Just adding all the numbers you see in oni-db.com (molar mas, max tile mass, max compression, min horizontal flow, min vertical flow) to the material properties tab would be a great improvement. Those numbers are specific to each material, but aren't available anywhere in the game. (I believe oni-db datamines them from game asset)

Archived