Question about all the DLC's

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked many times before. I'm considering buying Don't Starve Together but I had a question before doing so. I noticed there are many skins/characters DLC's. My question is the following:

Are all of these skins/characters in DCL's actually obtainable in-game without buying them? For example by weaving them or getting them from random drops? Or are there DLC's that can not be obtained in-game at all without buying them?

1 hour ago, JohnnyGui said:

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked many times before. I'm considering buying Don't Starve Together but I had a question before doing so. I noticed there are many skins/characters DLC's. My question is the following:

Are all of these skins/characters in DCL's actually obtainable in-game without buying them? For example by weaving them or getting them from random drops? Or are there DLC's that can not be obtained in-game at all without buying them?

you can get the characters for free and almost all the skins too

1 hour ago, JohnnyGui said:

Hello all,

Welcome to the forums!

Everything can be obtained for free once you own the game, by playing. Paying attention to the forums for giveaways of spools or points helps too (also free)
Of course its faster to just purchase whatever you like, but the first thing I'd recommend is to buy the game and try it out, its a lot of fun, specially with friends. The community is also very friendly too.

No not everything can be obtained for free, there are some Proof of Purchase skins that you will never have in your game unless you buy a particular physical or digital product- these skins are considered as “Thank You” Gifts for buying something from Klei.

Examples are: Funko PoP doll skins, Stuffed Plushie skins, and skins from buying the single player version of the game and its DLC expansions. (Such as the Pirate Birdcage skin you get if you buy Shipwrecked DLC)

Every other skin though can be obtained for free.. and there are currently no additional DLC’s for DST- just skins.

Thank you all for the info!

@ArubaroBeefalo Thanks for the info. Could you please pinpointi in the below picture which skins are not freely obtainable in-game?

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No not everything can be obtained for free, there are some Proof of Purchase skins that you will never have in your game unless you buy a particular physical or digital product- these skins are considered as “Thank You” Gifts for buying something from Klei.

Examples are: Funko PoP doll skins, Stuffed Plushie skins, and skins from buying the single player version of the game and its DLC expansions. (Such as the Pirate Birdcage skin you get if you buy Shipwrecked DLC)

Every other skin though can be obtained for free.. and there are currently no additional DLC’s for DST- just skins.

Are these "Thank You" skin gifts actually sold as DLC's on the Steam page?

1009069243_Schermafbeelding2020-12-24191457.png.340934144773cde83c11fd91f82ed975.png

If not, then I assume that all the above DLC's can be freely obtained in the game itself. Correct?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGui said:

im not 100% sure but i think that you can get all the dlc skins

there is other kind of skins like so old ones, from the reward page and from twich drops that are free but not "crafteable" with the ingame currency. But they are a little amount and klei is working in the reward page to bring us the possibility of getting them. The old skins that arent crafteable can be obtained via ingame drops

dont worry, you will be fill of skins if you play the game xD

The ones in your picture are just “Bundles” they’re not DLCs so to say- and yes all of those can be obtained for free by just playing the game. 

THESE are Proof of Purchase DLCs:

https://shop.klei.com/product/deerclops-plush/

https://shop.klei.com/dont-starve-funko-pops/

Physical products that when bought- also reward the player with a exclusive skin.

Klei may eventually decide to allow people to get these skins someday, I don’t know- but for now they’re exclusive to buying that particular product.

(since your on Steam though, you can likely find people on Steam selling them)

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The ones in your picture are just “Bundles” they’re not DLCs so to say- and yes all of those can be obtained for free by just playing the game. 

THESE are Proof of Purchase DLCs:

https://shop.klei.com/product/deerclops-plush/

https://shop.klei.com/dont-starve-funko-pops/

Physical products that when bought- also reward the player with a exclusive skin.

Klei may eventually decide to allow people to get these skins someday, I don’t know- but for now they’re exclusive to buying that particular product.

(since your on Steam though, you can likely find people on Steam selling them)

Ah I got it now, thank you so much for the info. If the characters in these bundles are also freely obtainable in-game then I'll pass on these bundles and play the heck out of the game to unlock them. :grin:

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

im not 100% sure but i think that you can get all the dlc skins

there is other kind of skins like so old ones, from the reward page and from twich drops that are free but not "crafteable" with the ingame currency. But they are a little amount and klei is working in the reward page to bring us the possibility of getting them. The old skins that arent crafteable can be obtained via ingame drops

dont worry, you will be fill of skins if you play the game xD

I'm convinced, thanks!

32 minutes ago, JohnnyGui said:

Ah I got it now, thank you so much for the info. If the characters in these bundles are also freely obtainable in-game then I'll pass on these bundles and play the heck out of the game to unlock them. :grin:

I'm convinced, thanks!

Just keep in mind that Klei (at the time of this post) has decided NOT to do any form of paid DLC expansions for DST- they made this decision to prevent separating their player fanbase between who has and who does not have DLC.

So... the only form of income Klei makes off this game past buying the game itself is if people buy those cosmetic skin items (you can earn them for free of course.. but I prefer to drop a few bucks here and there when I have spare cash to do so. It makes me feel like I’m helping to fund the development costs of all the otherwise free content updates we get.)

So if you can and your able please do support them by buying stuffs! :) 

Archived